Back To School

Remus has to leave to go teach at Hogwarts — wife!reader

Warnings: it's angst i guess

Words: 0.5k

a/n: I was gonna finish and post this at like the beginning of September, but then I ended up writing a whole bunch of other stuff so I forgot about this tbh

⁺. ༶ ⋆˙⊹. ༶ ⋆˙⊹⁺

You and your husband had awoken to the early-morning alarm ringing around your bedroom, but Remus shut it off quickly so you could get an extra few minutes in bed together.

After you decided you had to get up or else Remus would be late, you got up, got ready, and started making a simple breakfast together. You sliced fruit while Remus made toast for you both, then you sat down opposite each other at your table and ate, making small bits of conversation throughout.

When you finished, you told Remus to leave your plates at the table—you would do a whole load of dishes to distract yourself later—and you both went to collect all of Remus' things.

Since he got the job at the beginning of summer, you had been giving him all sorts of little gifts, things he would need for work, and some little mementos to remember each other and stay sane while you were apart for so long.

"And you're sure you've got everything?" You were sure Remus packed everything he'd need for the next three months away in his bags, but you were just stalling so you didn't have to part ways with him yet.

"What would I have forgotten, dove?"

You answered him quietly. "Me."

Your husband fought back a smile, not wanting to seem too happy when you were sad. "I could never forget you, my sweet girl; I just can't pack you in my suitcase and bring you with me, now can I?"

"We haven't tried yet..." You said, a half-faux pout on your face.

The both of you imagined the sight of Remus trying to sneak you into Hogwarts via his luggage. It brought a smile to your face that you didn't want to be there in this solemn moment.

"I'd have to choose between you and my clothes, dove. And as tough of a decision as that is, I can't go to work naked; I'd be fired before classes could even start."

"That means you would have to come home, right?" You asked it in a way that told him exactly what you were thinking, and he had to shut it down.

"I would come home, but then we would have no money and would have to live in a shack made of hay somewhere because we wouldn't be able to afford a whole house with just you working."

Remus pulled you into a hug, cocooning you in his long arms and his comforting chest. You both stayed in that embrace, breathing slow and deep together to level your emotions. It was nice, just not nice enough knowing that this was the last time you'd be in your flat together until the winter holidays.

Remus started loosening his grip on your body, which earned him an upset look from you.

"We're gonna be late if we don't go soon. We won't be able to say goodbye again at the train station if we're rushing." He explained nicely.

You sighed, knowing he was right. "Okay, but you have to promise me at least one good hug at the station."

"As long as I have time to spare, I'll give it all to you."

⁺. ༶ ⋆˙⊹. ༶ ⋆˙⊹⁺