Ascenders

Table of contents:
Chapter 1, safety
Chapter 2, gear
Chapter 3, basics
Chapter 4, wheelies
Chapter 5, stoppies
Chapter 6, bunny hopping
Chapter 7, trail ranks and meaning
Chapter 8, trail basics
Chapter 9, recommended
Acknowledgments and supporters

Chapter 1, safety

When it comes to mountain biking, safety should always be a top priority. Here are some basic tips to ensure a safe ride:

1. Gear up: Always wear a helmet to protect your head in case of falls or collisions. Additionally, wear appropriate clothing and shoes that provide comfort and protection.

2. Check your bike: Before hitting the trails, make sure your mountain bike is in good working condition. Inspect the brakes, tires, gears, and suspension to ensure everything is functioning properly.

3. Know your limits: Start with trails that match your skill level. As you gain experience and confidence, you can gradually move on to more challenging terrains.

4. Ride with a buddy: It's safer to ride with a companion who can assist you in case of emergencies or accidents. If riding alone, inform someone about your plans and expected return time.

5. Stay hydrated: Mountain biking can be physically demanding, so drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration and maintain peak performance.

6. Observe trail etiquette: Be mindful of other riders, hikers, or wildlife on the trail. Yield to uphill riders, announce your presence when passing, and respect any posted signs or regulations.

7. Ride within your abilities: Avoid attempting stunts or jumps beyond your skill level, as this can lead to injuries. Progress gradually and practice proper techniques under controlled conditions.

8. Be prepared: Carry essential equipment such as a mini-pump, spare tube, multi-tool, and first aid kit. It's better to be over-prepared than caught unprepared during an emergency.
Chapter 2, gear

Mountain bike gear generally includes a helmet, gloves, cycling shoes, padded shorts or bibs, and appropriate clothing for the weather conditions. It's also important to have a well-maintained mountain bike with appropriate tires, suspension, and gears for off-road riding. Additionally, accessories such as knee and elbow pads, a hydration pack, and sunglasses are often used by mountain bikers.
Chapter 3, basics

Mountain bike basics include understanding the different parts of a mountain bike and how they work together. Some key components to know are:

1. Frame: The frame is the main structure of the bike, typically made of aluminum, carbon fiber, or steel. It provides stability and strength.

2. Suspension: Mountain bikes often have suspension systems to absorb shocks from rough terrain. There are two types: front suspension (fork) and full suspension (front and rear).

3. Tires: Mountain bike tires have a more aggressive tread pattern for better traction on off-road surfaces. They come in different widths and can be tubeless or have inner tubes.

4. Gears: Mountain bikes usually have multiple gears for easier pedaling on different terrains. The gears are controlled by shifters and derailleurs, allowing you to change between them.

5. Brakes: Mountain bikes use disc brakes or rim brakes. Disc brakes offer stronger and more consistent stopping power, especially in wet or muddy conditions.

6. Handlebars: Mountain bike handlebars come in various shapes, such as flat, riser, or drop bars. They affect the rider's position and comfort while riding.