Chapter 1

Nicole

Singing Radiohead at the top of our lungs
With the boom box blaring as-

I groaned as I switched off my phone alarm and fought the urge to fall back asleep.

I turned on the lamp and the light instantly illuminated the hotel room, I looked over at the other side of the room and saw my brother still fast asleep. Oh how I envied him at the moment.

I unlocked my phone and started dialing the number I've come to know off by heart.

The phone rings twice and Logan's groggy voice answered "Hello?"

"Tsk tsk tsk, asleep on your birthday? I must say Logan, I am shocked, I at least thought you'd be out partying it up, you are 18 after all." I said in a mocking voice.

"How can I be out partying it up when my partner in crime was forced to go to Miami for two weeks" he answered.

I snickered remembering how mom and dad had told Jake and I that we were coming to Miami with them as dad had the annual Beta's convention and well they didn't trust us to stay at home alone or at the pack house because Alpha Mason and Luna Alexa were going to be gone the first few days too.

"It sucks right? But in my parent's defence they did invite you to tag along"

"Ha ! As if my dad would have let me spend my birthday anywhere else but here, the guy is throwing a huge party for me tomorrow or rather later today hoping that I'll find my mate."

I laughed thinking about how Alpha Mason was dead set on having Logan find his mate before he took over as Alpha.

"Don't laugh Nicholas," he chuckled using the nickname he gave to me when we were kids when Valerie had cut my hair and I looked like a boy. "Dad has invited everyone, it's crazy!"

"Aw my poor Alpha" I answered in mock sympathy "Let's just hope your mate isn't Valerie"

He groaned causing me to laugh, Valerie has had her eyes on Logan since we were nine years old, she's 100% sure that she and Logan are mates.

We started talking about random stuff and about how school starts on Monday and he was annoyed because I was skipping the first day. Soon I realised that it was 3:30 am and we've been talking for over three hours.

"Well," I said trying to stifle a yawn "I'm going to sleep now."

"Goodnight Nicole"

"Oh and Logan?"

"Yeah?"

"Happy birthday"

"I feel really old now, you'll see what I mean in two days." He replied

I smile thinking about how Logan and I's birthdays are 2 days apart and how we've always spent them together eating cake or "partying it up".

"Logan, promise me that when you find your mate, you and I will always stay friends". I said softly

"Nicole, you'll always be my best friend, nothing and no one can change that. I mean where am I going to get another best friend who watches action movies while eating string cheese and beef jerky?" He said causing me to smile.

It was crazy how compatible he and I were, it was a pity I was human and couldn't be his mate. I'm pretty sure that I was already halfway in love with him, which was a really cliché.

"Night Logan" I whispered then hung up.