13: Home

Third Person

"So, Police and Rescue have searched here, here, and here, where the caves are." Brian Bates holds a blue Sharpie pen, drawing over the specific areas on the map.

"Then let's look there again." Gary Riles says, lifting his head slightly towards the other dads.

"Well, we know for certain they were in there at some stage." Ken Ferne says in a monotone.

"Right, well, let's move out in an ever-widening circle, ...from where the backpack was found." Gary offers.

"Andy's backpack." Micheal Lau corrects him. 

"I'll bring caving equipment. We can re-search all the old mine shafts too." Tom Conte adds.

"That's a good idea." Micheal nods his head approvingly.

The six men fall into a deafening minute of silence before Brian Bates says, "Look, I'll be the last searcher to leave this forest, but... It's been 11 days now." He admits, lowering his head solemnly.

"Andy was obsessed with that survivalist Bear, uh... Grylls. I'm sure he would have picked up salient information." Micheal says, shifting the large backpack onto the curve of his shoulder.

"Sam knows a lot about surviving in the wilderness." Tom mentions.

"And Felix." Ken adds, before dropping his voice an octave. "He's a tough kid and he's been through a lot."

"Taylor's tough. She'll be OK. They all will." Harvey Evans nods his head at the five other men.

"Let's go find our kids." Gary says before Tom Conte leads the men out of the marquee and around the outskirts of the forest.

/ / /

Taylor 

"A wand and a mug?" Sam flips a wooden object in his hand before passing them over to Jake.

"Chalice." Phoebe corrects him. "That too." 

I lift a large wicker basket towards Jake, picking at the bandaid stuck to my head. Phoebe slaps my hand away. 

"Stop it." She glares at me scoldingly. "Hold the basket straight."

I roll my eyes and steady the basket with both hands, smiling sarcastically at her. 

"But hang on, so, Felix did a magic spell which brought you to our world, but none of you were ever born?" Ellen raises a brow questioningly. Again.

"Yeah." I nod my head. Also again.

"I know, it doesn't make any rational sense." Andy agrees with her.

"It sounds pretty crazy." Mia says.

"How do you think we know all those things about you... Like your crush on Robert Pattinson?" Sam teases, causing Ellen to glare at him.

"He's mine."

I start to scoff and Ellen snaps her head towards me. I raise my hands up in mock surrender and pass the wicker basket over to Andy.

"What else do we need?" He asks Phoebe.

"Dried snake skins, bat wings, toad tongue, and sage and chilli powder." Phoebe answers, walking across the room flipping through a large book. Mia and Ellen watch as the boys search through the glass jars on Phoebe's shelves before starting, "So, if this mad story really is true, why has Felix been kidnapped by a demon?" 

I roll my eyes and grab a jar off the shelf, reading the scrawly handwriting on the front before handing it over to Jake.

"It's a restoring demon, meant to restore order by any means necessary." Andy tells her, carefully holding the wicker basket out to Jake, Sam and me.