Werewolf Wednesday: Why we're obsessed with werewolf stories

October 4, 2023

From ancient folklore to modern-day entertainment, humans have always had an intense fascination with werewolves and their stories. These enigmatic creatures have a primal charm that has captivated our imaginations for centuries, providing the perfect scenes from which to explore relatable themes like heartbreak and resilience (with a little bit of spice, of course).

The Lost Luna Series by Heather Miller (@XDeafening_SilenceX) taps into this timeless intrigue, using compelling storylines of loss, grief, true love, family bonds, and more that keep readers hooked and coming back. Starting now on Werewolf Wednesdays, we'll be releasing a season of the Lost Luna Series that you can read for FREE! Here's the schedule: 

🌙  Oct 4-13: Season 1: Lost Luna - FREE

🌙  Oct 11-20: Season 2: Finding Luna - FREE

🌙  Oct 18-27: Season 3: Always Luna - FREE

🌙  Oct 25-Nov 3: Season 4: Forever Luna - FREE (plus, you can get a chance to win Coin prizes this week so make sure you're caught up on the last 3 seasons!)  

Now back to why werewolf stories have such a hold over us and why the Lost Luna Series does everything right.

1. The Duality of Humanity

While werewolf stories have had a modern facelift since they first became popular, at the core of them lies the theme of duality—a human fight against the primal beast within. The Lost Luna Series takes this theme a bit differently, as the main character Nova grapples with wolf as a new side of herself. This internal conflict mirrors our own inner battles, making werewolf tales deeply relatable. We all have moments where we struggle to own who we really are or feel outcasted, just like Nova.

2. Escapism and Fantasy

Great storytelling lets us escape into a new world, away from the reality of our daily lives, while at the same time discussing relatable topics. This escapism allows us to, if only for a moment, leave behind our worries and immerse ourselves in a world of magic, fantasy, and adventure. They take us just far enough outside of the real world and expand our imaginations.

3. Pack Dynamics

One of the most intriguing aspects of werewolf stories is the complex dynamics within packs. The Lost Luna Series delves deep into the intricacies of pack life, including hierarchy, loyalty, and camaraderie. What could that possibly have to do with us? It reflects our own experiences in social groups and families. Drawn to the idea of belonging to a tight-knit community that supports and protects its members, just as werewolf packs do, is one of the biggest draws of werewolf stories.

4. Fated Mates

There isn't a single genre that doesn't intersect with romance at some point, and one of the werewolf genre's most popular themes is fated mates—the idea that two characters, typically at the top and bottom of the social hierarchy, are destined to be together. At first, Nova is unsure if she'll be truly accepted by her mate, Phoenix, but as time progresses we see how their bond inevitably grows into an unbreakable romance. Their love defies choice and free will, playing into our very human desire for there to be someone out there we're destined to be with and that our circumstances will bring us together. In a way, the bond they share helps bring out the truth of who they really are, their full potential and power.

5. The Thrill of Transformation

The physical transformation of a human into a wolf-like creature is a key component of werewolf lore. The main characters of the Lost Luna Series, especially Nova, go through their own experiences learning how to control their transformations and harness their newfound abilities. Just imagining being able to shape-shift and experience the world through the senses of a wolf is a major draw for fans of werewolf stories. It allows us to temporarily step into the shoes (or paws) of a creature with heightened senses and primal instincts. In a way, we're imagining what it would be like to just let go.

6. Moral and Ethical Dilemmas

A werewolf story wouldn't be a werewolf story without exploring profound moral and ethical dilemmas. Throughout the entire series, these dilemmas are woven into the plot and characters are forced to make difficult choices that have far-reaching consequences. These add depth to the story, allowing us as readers to imagine what we'd do in a similar situation, making us ponder the fine line between right and wrong.

7. Unearthed Mysteries

Part of the escape appeal that werewolf stories have comes down to their hidden world of secrets and mystery, not only of the origin of lycanthropy but of the characters themselves. The prospect of uncovering hidden truths, like Nova's true bloodline, keeps readers hooked and satiates our curiosity about the unknown (and for drama, obviously.)

8. Empowerment and Resilience

Confronting and overcoming adversity is the bedrock of any werewolf story. Like in the Lost Luna Series, Nova struggles with her history of being abandoned and her fear of never being accepted because of her past. These struggles resonate with us, because we've all likely had the same feelings at some point in our lives, despite not being werewolves. In the face of adversity, we, too, can find the strength within ourselves to persevere and emerge stronger than before.

Here's what we want to know: What is it about werewolf stories that draws you in? 🐺

- Wattpad HQ