CHAPTER ONE: LAYLA

19 year old Layla sat at the edge of a bed of a small girl administering treatment to her. From her smile to the way the light reflected on her brown hair, one might have mistaken her for a goddess or a savior.

"Thank you.", The little girl whispered in appreciation. Layla smiled in response to the girl's words. It was moments like this that made her enjoy her work as a physician. She passed by the girl's parents who likewise offered their appreciation.

Heading downstairs, she noted the scarce amount of patients. The large building was usually filled with a large number of patients but now it looked deserted. It wasn't exactly surprising as it was still early in the morning.

At the lobby, she noticed her younger brother, Nathan helping some of the nurses. He was still young, so he was often assigned to odd jobs like washing the bandages or helping others fetch drugs.

Noticing her presence, the nurses offered a small bow. Her brother turned to see who the nurses were curtsying to. He noticed his sister who was already raising her hand to pat his head. He reflexively tried dodging her but it was already too late.

Layla knew her brother hated being treated like a child but she didn't care. Her actions earned a huge pout from him. Layla leaned towards him and said the magic words.

"Do you want to go to the under city with me?"

His bad mood was immediately lifted as he flashed a huge smile.

"Yes, come on, come on, let's go.", He said dancing around the room with excitement.

Layla wanted to point out to him that he was behaving like a child but eventually decided against teasing him.

The journey to the undercity was a long one as the physician's office was at the heart of the capital city of Wisteria, the City of Bloom. The under city was technically not another city as it was still a part of the City of Bloom, but had been named that as a derogatory term.

Layla turned to look at her brother who was basking in the view of the city. She wondered what he found so fascinating about a route they took frequently.

Drawing his attention, she handed him a snack that served as his breakfast. He had forgotten to have it due to his excitement. Funny how his enthusiasm made him skip breakfast. Quickly taking the snack, he returned to viewing the city again completely ignoring her.

'Maybe I should stop bringing him with me, he's being such a bother.', Layla thought as she sighed.

After crossing the gate that separated the heart of the city from the under city, the scenery changed drastically. While the heart of the city had well paved roads, beautiful buildings and people, and clean air, the under city had barely existent roads, rotten buildings and people and polluted air. The industrial buildings were the only better looking ones and were the main sources of livelihood for the under city inhabitants. They had however, caused pollution of the land and the air.