stay in your own realm

"So." Ward approached the girl who was practically pacing in the lounge area of the Bus. "You're staying. Garrett's orders or Hand's?"

"Both. I don't like it as much as you do." Maeve crossed her arms, shifting her weight from one leg to the other. She could feel the stares of the scientist duo on her, but she tried not to pay attention to them. "How's the girl?" Maeve asked after a moment of brief awkward silence.

Even though she didn't explicitly state it, Ward knew what she meant by that question.

"She's doing better, but I can't help but feel like we gave the Clairvoyant what he wanted." She nodded in understanding, feeling a knot in her stomach, which she attributed to turbulence.

"Do we have a mission or do you guys just fly around all day?" She quipped, not bothering to look at Ward as he talked. Instead, she just looked out the window, seeing the sun begin to rise over the clouds. She was getting antsy on the plane. For the past couple of days, all she had been doing was flying around and Maeve really wanted some fresh air. And a cheeseburger.

Ward scoffed, "No, we're heading to our next mission right now. You should talk to them instead of standing here and freaking them out." He also noticed the eyes on the two as they talked. Fitz and Simmons weren't very good at being covert, so when Maeve turned her head, meeting their curious eyes, they looked away in a hurry.

"I will." She responded, leaving Ward and heading over to Fitzsimmons, who were doing a laughably bad job at acting natural. "Hi."

"Oh, didn't see you there." Simmons blurted, realizing how stupid she sounded. "That's a lie. I saw you. You saw us. We were watching you and Ward and- I'm going to stop talking now." Her cheeks flushed bright red as Fitz tried to stop her from putting her foot in her mouth, but it was much too late for that.

"I'm Agent Phillips."

"I'm Fitz. This is Simmons. Engineering and biochem, at your service." He spoke as Simmons collected herself.

"Yeah, I was watching you work. You're good."

"Oh, thanks." He rubbed the back of his neck with his hand, grinning slightly.

"And I guess I saw you work, too." She recalled seeing Simmons save Skye's life.

The Brit smiled proudly, feeling flattered that someone had appreciated the work she did. Everyone knows Fitz and Simmons are smart, but they don't often compliment or thank them, so it was nice for them to hear.

"So, you're joining us permanently?" Simmons inquired, not minding having another girl on board.

"Not permanently. I'm just supervising." She wasn't technically lying; that's what she was there to do, it's just, she was also there to do other things.

"Why do we need to be supervised?" Fitz followed up, scrunching his eyebrows in confusion.

"Because Agent Coulson has a tendency to follow his own orders instead of the ones he's supposed to." She answered honestly. Fitzsimmons both felt annoyed that they had someone watching them, but they knew Maeve was right. Coulson had done some things that could definitely classify as reckless. Skye, for example, being one of them. "Everyone here hates me right now, so it's fine if you do too. I can take it."

While Fitzsimmons didn't exactly like the reason she was on board with them, she seemed nice enough.

"Just because you got put in a bad position doesn't mean you're a bad person." Fitz smiled, trying to ease the girl's worries. He meant that as more of a general statement, but it really struck a deeper meaning with Maeve.