12

Is it night or day? It feels muggy, sweat glistens her skin. Maybe afternoon? Iris pushes the covers off of her, glancing at the opened window. She can see the soft shine of the barrier placed after the attack emit purples and pinks. Sting must have ordered it to be placed, or someone in the guild took it upon themselves.

Nonetheless, she was safe here—as far as 'safety' can go.

"Did you sleep well?" Lina is sitting on top of the desk, coloring in a picture book. The usual fiery exceed has gotten quieter since the attack. She spent less time with the other exceeds, and more with Iris, than she has since they began staying at Sabertooth.

Iris didn't dream, "Yes." It was a good rest. The first in days.

A woman, 'Porlyusica' visited yesterday. She checked on Iris' inner magic, and mild injuries she sustained from the attack. The cuts and scrapes were healed now. But, the woman was more worried about her magic.

Iris couldn't find the words to explain what her magic is. The day after the attack, she had the opportunity to explain it, but it fell on closed lips. Unable to form the syllables.

They had a meeting about the attack, about her, and Lina. Where to go from here. If Sabertooth was safe from any further attacks, if they should kick out Iris and Lina (Sting immediately shot down that idea), or to report the attack to the Magic Council.

Iris could hear everything they said in the meeting, it wasn't like they tried to keep quiet. Do a silencing charm on the room. It was like—they wanted her to hear their opinions.

It was held in Sting's office, a floor down. She heard their voices carry through the ventilation. And with her amplified hearing, she could have been a good broker.

Instead, she is technically in hiding. Oh, and a liar, that too.

The decisions in the meetings were—Raven Tail could launch another attack at any moment, be at the ready. She and Lina weren't getting kicked out, and the Magic Council will never be notified of the attack to protect Iris.

Word travels fast nonetheless, as another quick meeting was scheduled the next day when the Magic Council heard of something happening at Sabertooth. They called upon Fairy Tail, and made a story up about an accidental Turf War. Everything was handled between the two guilds peacefully afterward.

Iris had the passing thought they said that excuse before. Based on the presumption of how willing, Fairy Tail went with the lie.

Sting hasn't visited her since their...conversation after the attack. When she spilled almost everything about herself. And when she found out how connected the two of them were.

He respected her wish to think about it. And now, she hasn't seen him face to face for almost a week.

Iris is aware of the pull now, why she aches to see him, hear his voice, touch his skin. Smile at her, greet her kindly, and ask her what the agenda of today was.

It hurts more. Being away from him. She can't tell if he is angry with her, and is too nice to say to hell with her current decision to think about being mates.

She isn't totally alone, Lina's presence reminds her.

"What are you coloring?" Iris has gotten dressed and brushed knots out of her hair. She leans over Lina to see the coloring page.

"A horse." Lina's tongue sticks out, focused on coloring within the lines. She is making the horse green, much to Iris' amusement.

She grabs a crayon—brown—and draws a horn on the horse. "Hey!" Lina scolds.

"It's a magical horse now." She made the horse into a unicorn. Although, she admits the horn didn't look much like a mystical horn. Just a thick line protruding out of its forehead.

Lina huffs, grumbling to herself. She continues coloring, while Iris walks to the window and sits on the sill. The city is busy, boats float to the docks, parents, and children flood the streets. She sees wizards passing through to either head home or go to a job.

Her eyes focus on the pane of the window, and experimentally rests her hand against it. Flesh meets heated sand, and ice follows up in the window. She imagines a snowflake, and it forms at the top of the window.

She isn't used to having all of her magic.

---

Time passes slowly. A knock on the door disrupts her people watching. Lina calls from the bed, having moved her coloring station over to a more comfortable surface. "Come in!" Yukino opens the door, peeking her head in. Iris smells steamed potatoes and carrots—beef stew.

Besides Lina, the white-haired witch is the only person who visits. Bringing food and toiletries.

"Hi." Iris greets as Yukino closes the door behind her with her foot. "Afternoon, Iris. Did you see all the boats coming in for the festival?" Iris nods, "That's what they are for?"

"Yep! They are bringing in merchants from around the world and all different crates of things." Yukino sounds excited. She places Lina's bowl on the desk, and hands Iris hers. It is comfortably warm. It doesn't burn her hands from holding it. Like always, Yukino is thoughtful.

"When is it?"

"Next week. We should go, they always have all sorts of yummy food and games to play." Yukino tells her. She carefully sits on the bed, leaning over to stack Lina's creations in one place. The gray exceed has flown over from the bed to the desk, merrily eating.

Going to the festival... Should she?

She stirs the stew, thinking about it. When will she have the courage to leave this room? The strength to face everyone after all the trouble she put them through?

Iris wants to hide forever. It's easier to disappear.

Her eyes flash, shaking her head roughly. No, don't repeat. Running, disappearing, is how she ended up here. She would place herself back into the cycle. End up in another city, another building full of people who lend their hands to her—and leave room to be disappointed. Appalled by the person they allowed into their lives.

She has had all the time in the world, yet the weight on her chest persists.

"How is the stew?"

"Good. I like it."

"Yay! I'm glad, I helped make it." Iris smiles softly. "You did good." She compliments her. Please, give me strength to leave.

---