I. NORRINGTON'S PROMOTION

"Miss, please hold still!"

Estrella and two other maids accompany Jade, pulling and pushing on the lace of the corset currently being fitted to her. Jade groans, partly from impatience and partly from the air being forced out of her. She does her best to keep still and breathes in as deeply as she can.
Jades eyes catch on the gown laid out across her bed. A gift from her father for the upcoming promotion ceremony of  Captain James Norrington. Commodore James Norrington as of today. She has a suspicion that today is the day he will finally propose to her older sister, Elizabeth.

"Is it necessary that I attend? I'm only going to watch Elizabeth feign suprise at the Commodore's proposal and stand in the bothersome heat while people fuss over the engagement."

Estrella pauses momentarily, "You know... you may find a suitable husband for yourself."

Jade's face scrunches at the proposition. She was nineteen and despite being constantly reminded of the fine woman she'd become, she couldn't bare the idea of settling down to become someone's trophy wife. She didn't fancy the idea of sitting around in tight corsets, chasing children around, and dreaming of adventure for the rest of her life. Maybe she would one day accept that fate, but right now she is desperate for an escape. Though, she'd never say it to anybody but her sister.
Elizabeth didn't understand entirely. She already wants to marry and to become a mother, however she wants to fall in love more importantly.
Jade was cautious of the word love. She loves her sister, her father, her best friend Will, but she couldn't imagine loving any of the snobby, wig-wearing, uniformed men of Port Royal. That was, however, who she was supposed to marry.

"I think I'm quite alright by myself," Jade responds. Estrella only gives a small, knowing smile.

Another half hour and a lot of struggle later, Jade was ready. Her gown is beautiful. A soft jade colour, ironically, with subtle floral designs and ivory lace details. It is breathtaking. Jade truly felt beautiful. Her hair has been loosely pinned upwards, loose brown curls falling around her face and brushing her collarbones.

"Elizabeth! Jade!"

Jade's father, Governor Swann, calls to her and her sister from somewhere in the house. Jade bids her farewell to Estrella and her maids and begins her journey to the foyer. She meets Will Turner at the foot of the stairs.

"Will! I wasn't expecting you!"

"Miss Swann," Will greets her politely. His brown hair is neatly brushed back, he stands so straight it's painfully obvious that he's preparing to impress Elizabeth. Jade almost laughs at his formality, but sees her father's look of disappointment.

"What brings you here this morning?"

Will gestures to the case in her father's hands. Jade only nods. It was the sword Will had been working on each time Jade had visited him recently, of course she now knew it was to be gifted to Commodore Norrington.

"Will!"

Jade's father grimaces once more. Elizabeth has paused on her descending of the stairs, her eyes on Will. She smiles widely at him and Jade is almost positive Will has forgotten how to function. She wants to slap the sense back into him but refrains.
Jade then lets her own eyes meet Elizabeth. Her dress was stunning. It has more layers than Jade's own and in comparison she felt quite simple, but it wasn't Jade's day. The gown is an elegant ivory, with puffed sleeves, slivers of gold detail and lace. Her hair is piled in perfect coils of golden blonde, pieces loosely falling around her face. Elizabeth was breathtaking, as always, and Jade felt a twinge of jealousy among her admiration.

"You look beautiful, Lizzie," Jade compliments, smiling at her sister. Elizabeth meets her at the bottom of the stairs, gently brushing a strand of stray hair from her face, "So do you."