Chapter Twenty-Nine

Blood Note

It's been a couple of weeks since you'd visited Johns. Johnny still wasn't the him you'd grew to love, something was off with him. His communication was at all time low, you still were in the dark as to why he fled the way he did. Something sparked this sudden change within him, but you didn't know why. Drayton, and Nubbins seemed to know but they to wouldn't tell you. Drayton just told you to not worry yourself, it'll resolve itself with time. That's not what you wanted to hear, you felt better to know than to feel like you should be worrying. Instead wool was attempting to be pulled over your eyes.

Though with all of the heightened security measures around the property you could only assume the worst. You heard Nubbins telling Sissy how much harsher Johnny's killings had become. Nubbins almost described it as practice, Johnny was doing something more than his usual slashing, and gutting the trespassers. Nubbins seemed impressed by it all, he'd even laughed and mimicked the death cries of those Johnny was killing to Sissy. She to would just laugh, and wonder why he was doing something different. Nubbins said he figured it was the lack of sex Johnny was now having, which wasn't the case. Johnny was still having sex, as much as he wanted. Not how he truly enjoyed it, he'd laid off of cutting you which surprised you tremendously. So if it wasn't the lack there of sex, it had to of been whatever happened at Johns? Did you make a mistake in having him meet John? What did John say that changed Johnny! Would he ever be...normal Johnny again?

"Johnny would you please just lay down..." you look over to Johnny who's stood in the window watching the fields.

"...I can't YN, I have to watch the fields."

"Isn't it Nubbins, and Sissy's turn? They've been doing it just fine, please come to bed..."

"WHY SO I CAN LAY THERE WORRY FREE LIKE YOU?" he says throwing his hands up.

His sudden rage towards you seemingly came from nowhere, and it was direct.

"YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON JOHNNY!" you shout back.

His hands again go in the air but he clenches his fists one around the handle of his blade.

"...I'm... sorry... I shouldn't of spoke to you like that, but please... just trust me... do you not trust me?"

"You seem to not trust me or you'd tell me..."

"It's not that YN, darlin I just don't want you stressing over something that very well could be nothin..."

"Johnny... who's after us?"

He froze.

"No-"

"Johnny Sawyer... stop keepin me in the dark. If I need to be on edge I'd like to know from or what... it's not just us anymore Johnny."

He was biting the inside of his lip repeatedly, he winced having broke the skin, and some leaving the corner of his mouth a pink, red colour.

"O'Connors."

"O'Connors..." you ask, your face concerned.

"Ya remember me tellin you bout those boys I'd killed that were trynna take Nancy's property? Then I ended up here cause feds got involved?"

You nod slowly, remembering bits and pieces of what Johnny was speaking of. A surge of dread hitting you...

"John-"

He continued on talking over you, and what you had to tell him was very important. It was urgent.

"Their pa is best friends with John...an-"