The Lady and the Dragon

Round 3.2 prompt from Multigenre Mashup Flash Fiction Smackdown, September 2023: Write a story that consists only of dialogue (no dialogue tags), genre = historical fiction, and contains a mythical creature.

Author's note: The story takes place around 600 AD in what is now Wales under the Kingship of Meurig ap Tewdrig. Some scholars postulate that Meurig was Uther Pendragon of the famous King Arthur legends.

Word count = 499

"Who dares tread upon my domain?"

"Be not alarmed, sir. It is I, Lady Angharad of the court of His Highness Meurig, King of Gwent."

"Hmmph! Meurig be king now? Had his father Tewdrig met demise?"

"Tewdrig yet lives. He abdicated the throne, now living a life of monastic piety."

"Nonetheless, brave are you, my dear lady, to venture within the cavern of a dragon. Yet also foolish. The bones of many brave knights litter my den."

"Before I suffer such a fate, may I know thy name, sir dragon?"

"Very well. I am known as Galryg the Fierce, Ddraig of the highest order."

"Indeed, so, Sir Galryg. Well known be thy fierceness. Tales are told of an immense red dragon with scales of armor, fangs of steel, talons of obsidian, and breath of fire."

"Then why would a fair lady, cloaked in a white gown and hair adorned with flowers as if a bride, enter my dark realm? Why are you here, Lady Angharad?"

"To plea, sir."

"And what be thy plea?"

"To end thy pillage, I beg, Sir Galryg. To stop the plunder of livestock. To no more terrorize peasant and noble alike."

"Strange, my dear, such a plea after so many knights came here to their doom. Does your king tire of the fight? Has he lost his courage?"

"Nay, sir. Even as we speak, Saxon pagans amass, ready to invade this fair land. War shall soon be upon us, and Tewdrig himself returns to lead the battle. His Highness Meurig merely wishes not to be obstructed by such a fierce dragon as thyself. And dare I say, if the Saxon should win, next they shall come for thee."

"And if I should agree, what is thy offer in return?"

"Myself, sir. You may do with me as you wish."

"Hmm, little meat have you on your bones. Hardly a morsel, and sinewy at that. And why would I not eat you now, regardless?"

"I desire not that outcome, sir. But may I suggest an alternative that might be of greater interest?"

"Do continue."

"Within these rocky walls, doth not thy heart yearn? Are thee not lonely?"

"I must so lament. Such is the existence of a dragon fierce."

"If I may so boast, great musical talent have I, with ballads of voice and lyre to soothe a restless soul. And scores of stories have I — epic tales of adventure, heroes, and woe to stir the blood of men and dragon-folk alike."

"And what know thee of philosophy, my dear lady? The dull knights before could barely express a coherent thought, but well are you with words."

"A passion of mine! Versed I am of the Platonic dialectic method. Who knows what hidden truths a lady and a dragon of intellect might uncover?"

"Then I accept thy proposal, my dear Lady Angharad. If thy would be my companion, I shall only take of wild beasts and trouble men no more."

"Let it be so, Sir Galryg."