Of Wraithe and Lesbians

Round 4.1 prompt from Multigenre Mashup Flash Fiction Smackdown, October 2023: Mash LBGTQIAP+ and Paranormal genres. Include the words: cackle, ominous, microwave.

Word count = 2464

The still clear night had an ominous vibe to it. We weren't here for the star gazing.

The rift pulsed and fluttered above with psychic energy. At any moment, the wraithe could pour through this rip between realms to wreak havoc in our world. Or not. With any luck, this would be a boring night.

The rift shimmered green to those psi-sensitive, invisible to others. Because of this paranormal aptitude, we were recruited into the Spirit Defense League, a secretive organization that defends the Earth from all things paranormal. Believe me, most people didn't want to know what freaky stuff we faced.

Opened rifts were usually traced to unauthorized paranormal activity on our side. But for this one, the cause was unknown. Our job was to contain any threat that came through while the experts figured out how to close it.

Of course, we had special weapons. A double-barreled sawed-off shotgun holstered behind my back held salted buckshot loads — the salt disrupted psychic energy. The katana-like sword at my side was imbedded with a psi-active material.

My partner of three months, Gabriella, who sat beside me on the uncomfortable rock wall, carried two similar, but shorter swords crisscrossed on her back. Wielded together, her technique was amazingly swift, graceful, and deadly. Sure glad she was on our side. She can be irritating, but we fight awesomely well together.

Turning, I studied Gabriella in the dim moonlight. She was a looker for sure, with thick dark hair tied back in a ponytail, long flirty lashes, full lips, and gentle tan face. Her tight black leggings and jacket displayed a lithe figure. I'd be lying if I said my lascivious mind didn't wander her direction sometimes. I worked out to maintain a fit physique and can turn most women's eyes, if I did say so myself, but thus far, she had ignored my subtle hints.

A big moon, nearly full, rose in the east, spreading orange hued light across a peaceful meadow. The few trees along a winding creek cast long, faint shadows. On a nearby overlooking knoll, light shined through a single window of a farmhouse. The attractive young woman who lived there alone didn't realize the potential danger, but knocking on her door to warn about spooky monsters might get us arrested.

Trying an existential line, I broke the lingering silence. "Gab, have you ever considered your part is in the grand scheme of the universe? Like, what you truly were meant to be?"

"Huh?" she answered, wrinkling her brow. "There is little point to think about it. My part is here, now."

"I suppose so. When this is done, what do you say we go out for a fancy breakfast buffet, just the two of--"

Gabriella interrupted me, holding up a hand. "Zach, let me stop you right there. First, I don't date fellow Defenders. Second, we have something in common — we both prefer women."

"Okay, cool." A moment of silence passed. "So, you're lesbian?"

"In flames."

That explained her resistance to my charm. "I didn't know."

"It's not like we walk around with a big red L on our foreheads."

"Would have been useful information. I've already had a few hot fantasies about you."

She grimaced. "I really, really, didn't need to hear that."

"Nonetheless, my offer still stands. Breakfast as friends then? I'll buy."