Chapter One: I'm Not A Kid, Dad!

"Katie-pie!" came the gruff voice of my father followed by a knock on my door. "Wake up, baby. It's your first day of senior year!"

The moment the words "senior year" were out of his mouth, my eyes popped open. I smiled and rolled over, expecting Shawn to be in his bed across the room to celebrate the big day with me. But, when I seen his empty bed, I remembered he didn't live here anymore. He lived with Jack...and Eric.

Eric.

A smile spread across my face as I thought about Eric. I was going over to his place after school today, with Eric. JUST Eric. This day could not get any better.

"Katie, if you don't hurry, I'm gonna feed these pancakes to the neighbors!" came my mother's voice. I stand corrected.

I sprung out of bed and raced out of my room and into the kitchen before mom and dad could even blink. Mom smiled at me and kissed my head as she placed the plate of pancakes in front of me.

"I can't believe this. My baby girl is a senior, my baby boy has moved out. Soon enough, you'll be leaving, too," mom said. I could see tears well up in her eyes. "I think I'm getting a little emotional."

"Oh, mama," I said and hugged her. "I'm not moving out yet. Not unless dad-"

"No more about moving in with Shawn and Jack. You know my answer," dad said. "I want one last year with at least one of my kids."

I rolled my eyes and started digging into my pancakes. Mom and dad kept asking me about college and what I thought I'd be doing once I graduated and if I was excited for my senior year and all that parent stuff. I replied with a series of "yeah", "no", "maybe", and "I dunno"s.

"What about boys?" mom asked.

"No boys," dad said. "She's not allowed to date till I'm dead. A year after, just to make sure."

"No need to worry about that, dad," I said.

"Unless it's that Eric that you talk about so much."

I nearly choked on my food.

"Oh yes," said mom. "Katie, baby, I don't get why you don't ask him out. All you do is talk about him. You clearly like him."

"Mom, it's not that easy," I said. "I mean, I don't know if he likes me back. That's sort of a key element in a relationship, two halves liking each other."

"Not always," mom said, sending (what I hoped was) a playful look to dad. "Honey, you'll never know till you ask him. You gotta take the courage and ask him."

Instead of saying anything else, I said, "I'm gonna get ready for school."

I put my stuff on the counter before racing to my room.

Honestly, I couldn't be happier that my parents would be okay with me dating someone who's three years older than me. But sometimes, I wish they were against it so they didn't bother me about it so much. Okay, maybe they weren't bothering me. But still, I wish it wasn't every other conversation we had since mom and dad found out I actually liked someone.

As I began pulling on a pair of ripped jeans and an old t-shirt, I realized how much I really did miss Shawn. I remembered being excited when I was told I was getting my own room, but now I sort of missed the morning banter we had while getting ready. Maybe that could be my compelling reason to get dad to let me move in with the guys.

After grabbing my bag and preparing to walk out, dad stopped me.

"Have a good day, okay sweetheart?" he told me.

"I will. Want Shawn to tell me you said hello?" I asked.

"Nah, I'm sure I'll talk to him later."

I nodded. I went to open the door again, but stopped. "Dad," I said. "I'm going over to Eric's after school today, okay?"

"What?" dad asked. "Eric's?"

"Eric's? Did I say Eric's? I meant Shawn's! Gotta go."

"Wait one second lil' lady."

Dad grabbed my arm, stopping me from walking out the door. I sighed and turned to look at him. Dad crossed his arms as he looked down at me.

"Honey, who else is going to be at the apartment this afternoon?" he asked. Oh, so now he's being a protective father.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "Jack said he might be at school, Shawn said he might be with Angela, Eric said he's gonna be there. I don't know if it's just gonna be us." I hope it's just gonna be us.

"Now, Katelyn, you know I like Eric and all, but I don't want you in a house alone with him. Especially now that he's a university boy. I know what boys in university are like, especially towards young, innocent, don't know any better girls, like you."

"Dad," I argued. "I'm not a kid anymore. I know what I'm doing. I know what to do if he makes me uncomfortable, I know what to do if anything happens. Plus, Eric's not like that. He wouldn't take advantage of any girl for any reason. You gotta give me some freedom."

Dad looked down at me. I suddenly felt guilty. I knew how hard it must be for him to watch his baby girl, his only baby girl, grow up and wanting to leave so quickly. He was never a part of Jack's life and, even if he tried, he had little to do with mine and Shawn's. But he tried.

I sighed. "Never mind. I'll come right home, okay?"

"No, baby. You go over to the apartment, but be home before 9, okay? I wanna know all about your first day as a senior. And drag your brother's butt over, too. I wanna hear his perspective as well."

I chuckled and gave dad a hug. He kissed my head before I pulled away and bid farewell to mom before racing off for school. My first day as a senior.

Wow.