Chapter Two: Seniors

I met up with Topanga as soon as I got to school. We were walking through the senior hall, talking about how excited we were for our senior year, when I noticed Shawn with Angela. He was doing his usual cool guy, leaning against the lockers thing with his back turned to me. Angela caught a quick glimpse of me. I put a finger to my lip before slowly creeping up to the steps.

"Attack!" I exclaimed before jumping on my brother's back. Shawn flailed everywhere before managing to drop me on the floor. Although the landing did hurt, it didn't stop me from laughing.

"Not funny, Kate!" he snapped.

"It was funny," Topanga said.

"Really funny," Angela added.

"Hey, it's a twin sister's duty to scare the crap out of her brother on his first day of senior year," I said. I paused before adding, "And every day after until one or both dies. It's like marriage."

"Only worst cause I can't divorce you," Shawn muttered.

"Oh, come on Shawnie," I said, throwing my arms around my brother. "You know you'd be lost without me."

"I've been doing pretty good with it at the apartment," Shawn said, lightly pushing me away from him. "Speaking of which, made plans with Angela, Jack made plans to be at the library. It's just you and Eric today."

"Ooh!" Topanga and Angela said together. Shawn literally just started dating Angela and she already knows about Eric?! Although, at this point, who doesn't know?

Eric. The answer to that question would be Eric.

I playfully rolled my eyes before walking over to my locker. "Whatever."

"Katelyn, I've seen you crushing on him from the moment you two met," Topanga said. "This is your senior year and all of us are dating someone...except you."

"Thanks for pointing out how terribly lonely I am, 'Pangers," I commented sarcastically.

"What I meant is, why don't you ask Eric on a date? Spend your senior year happy and dating your dream man."

"There's one flaw there," I said, shutting my locker and turning to look at Topanga. "What if Eric doesn't like me? I mean, I'm his brother's best friend...and his best friend's sister...and his roommate's twin. Man, I'm a lot of things to him."

"You never know if you don't try. Now, I'm gonna go find Cory. See you second period."

I looked down at the schedule I had only just gotten myself.

"How do you know my schedule?" I asked.

"Are you kidding, I'm the one who made it."

I smiled as I watched my best friend walk away. She was one conniving genius. She could do good (and by good I mean bad) things if she wasn't so bent on being good.

I turned back to my locker and unlocked it again. Forgot my textbooks, of course. I need to start upping my study antics if I wanna graduate and get into a good college (Pennbrook, maybe? Room with Shawn, Jack and...Eric, maybe?).

As I was pulling my Chem textbook out of my locker, I noticed Mr. Feeny walking past. Although Shawn wasn't exactly Mr. Feeny's favorite student and Mr. Feeny wasn't exactly Shawn's favorite teacher, I loved Feeny. He was a great teacher! I've learned so much from him!

"Feeneh!" I called across the hall. Feeny stopped in his tracks. "Mr. Feeny, come here and say hello to your favorite student!"

Mr. Feeny turned to look at me. "Who?"

I smiled sarcastically. "Ha ha, you are hysterical. How was your summer, Feeny?"

"Relaxing without either Matthews brother or Mr. Hunter," Mr. Feeny replied. "No offense, of course."

"None taken. Shawn can be a bit annoying," I replied. "I missed coming over and seeing you, too. But, obviously, without Cory home I have no reason coming over."

"You mean Eric, don't you?"

Even Feeny knew about my crush on Eric! I swear, this is the most public secret ever.

"No, I meant Cory," I said. "Eric is just a pleasant plus at the Matthews house."

"Whatever you say. Just make sure your brother and Mr. Matthews makes it to my class on time this year."

"No promises."

Mr. Feeny gave me something of a smile before walking away. Once again, I was alone.

This made me think. Everyone I knew and everyone that knew me knew about my crush on Eric. Maybe Topanga was right. Maybe I should talk to him and ask him on a date. But what if he doesn't like me back? What if he shoots me down and it makes things awkward?

No. This is my senior year. I'm not starting it off with the thoughts that would give me mad anxiety and keep me unfocused on my school work.

Who am I kidding, I was going to be unfocused anyways.

Ω

Lunchtime rolled around quickly. Thanks to my bestest friend, Topanga, I had at least one friend in all my classes. Cory was in my first period, Angela and Topanga in my second, Angela, Topanga and Shawn in my third, as well as some of my other girl friends I don't hang out with as much. I couldn't wait to see what the second half of the day would bring.

The five of us sat at a table together at lunch. Cory was already rambling on and on about colleges and how he was so stressed out about applying already.

"It's the first day of senior year," Shawn finally cut him off. "Why are you so worried? We have a full year to think about this."

"10 months, Shawn," Cory corrected him. "We have 10 months to think about this."

"Well, we'll divide it equally, then," I said. "5 months to have fun and enjoy being a senior, 5 months to worry about college and applications."

"Which 5?" Cory asked.

"Take your pick. I choose September, October, December, February, and June to just relax and have fun."

"Significance of those months?" Topanga challenged.

I looked at my twin, who jumped in immediately. "First month of school, Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day, last month of school, plus our birthday."

I put my hand out and Shawn high fived me while we both smugly looked at Topanga. Twin telepathy rocked!

"Smart," said Angela.

"Those have been, are, and always will be my relaxing month. No need to freak out over anything during the month of a holiday."

"What about Easter?" Cory asked.

"Changes every year, no need to commit to a month when there might not be a holiday there."

They all agreed. We continued to eat, all of us starting our own conversations. I noticed Shawn looking over my shoulder when I was trying to tell him what dad said that morning about coming over to the trailer park that evening. I lifted my hand and lightly slapped Shawn.

"Ow," he monotoned, his eyes still locked over my shoulder.

"Your girlfriend is sitting next to you, stop staring at a girl," I said.

"It's not a girl. It's Harley."

I bit my lip, refusing to turn around.

Harley was a bully to all of us, except Angela and Topanga. He wasn't as bad to Shawn and Cory, but he asked me out during out senior year. I turned him down since a) he was a total ass to my best friend and brother and, b) Eric.

I could feel Harley's glare digging into my back.

"Shouldn't he be graduated?" I hissed. Shawn and I looked at each other and we started laughing. "Yeah right. Well, hopefully he's isn't in any of my classes."

"He's not," Topanga said from the other end of the table.

"Thank you, 'Pangers!"