THIRST 4.7

The boat bumped against the edge of the cay. Dannke sighed and went down, not knowing what the encounter would bring. A beautiful woman with long white hair and some blue scales, especially on her limbs, was waiting for him.

"You are the master of that small creature of the savannah. I am a naiad, guardian of these seas, and as such, I request that you leave here, forever and ever."

"My Lady of the Seas, I am honored. But I must decline. Humans are complex, we depend on economics, and the sea is no exception. We must inhabit the land, but we must also sail the seas. This is not my personal desire, but rather part of our nature. If I go back and tell them what you want, the people will not obey, and sooner or later they will come back and want what they have been denied."

Suddenly the sea turned murky. A wave crashed against the reef and rose angrily into the sky. The naiad's face, once stern and calm, was now filled with fury.

"Because of the little one's innocence, I decided to give you a chance. Unfortunately, innocence is something you lack."

"I want to solve this as much as Fleas does, and I could promise you that humans will never touch these waters again, but I would be lying. For the decision is not mine. But we can find another way. One where we all win."

"Just as the decision is not yours, neither is it mine. As the sea is calm on sunny days and raging in storms, so is my offer. For there are no half storms or partial suns. Choose, my good knight."

"I see," Dannke thought for a moment, reached into his belt and took a few steps closer. "I think I have the solution."

*

The cay was far away, so they could not see what was happening. Only the two figures could be seen talking. Then one of them plunged into the sea and the other into the boat. Slowly he returned. He tied up the boat and the sailors pulled it aloft. The captain approached Dannke and asked what had happened.

"It is done. The Naiad will not bother you anymore," Dannke looked at Fleas and smiled slightly. "We came to an agreement. The only thing she asked of me is that you respect the sea, that you do not throw your garbage into it or overfish."

The captain nodded reluctantly and they set sail for Turquena. Some of the men complained that they wanted to go through Viollara, but Dannke insisted. Fleas was glad that the conflict had been resolved without violence. He knew they would find a way between them. Old knight Dannke was a good and kind man.