Chapter 1

My hands shook as I turned off the engine on my Nissan Rogue that has seen better days

It was a present from my mother- who's very much alive and well, thankfully- and I've had it since I was about 15 years old and... it definitely showed. 

The windows were taped up in a desperate attempt to salvage it from idiot neighborhood kids that had nothing better than to do with their time. 

And the paint looked like it was melting off.

Don't ask me how the hell that happened because I wouldn't know how to explain.

The poor thing was on its way out and it looked as tragic on the outside as the engine was, and the rest of my life wasn't much better.

But that's partly why I was starting this new job in the WWE as Paul Levesque's new assistant.

Growing up I had always been a huge fan of the WWE. 

The glitz and glamour and all the spectacular shows that they put on kept me enraptured for several hours a week and I swore that I would get there somehow.

I never had any interest in being a wrestler myself, but I was always interested in taking a peek behind the curtain and seeing just how much it took to put these shows together. 

More importantly I was interested in all that it took to keep the storylines alive and how to develop them.

Yeah, I'm a writer and that was my initial plan. To be a writer for the WWE.

But we all have to start somewhere, as they say.

I didn't get the full job description just yet, but that's why I was at WWE HQ this morning.

And I was putting everything into this job.

My hopes and dreams for a comfortable life banked on it.

That's all I wanted. For me and for my mother who worked her ass off since the day I was born to make sure that I didn't want for anything, and I wasn't knocking her efforts.

But I couldn't help but think that she and I deserved more.

And I'm not talking 23 cars, 15 houses, personal chefs, and a yacht in every home.

But it would definitely ease both our minds to not have to count every single cent and that we could give ourselves the comfortable lives we deserve. A life where we- where she, especially- could kick back and know that everything would always be taken care of.

I didn't care that the rest of my family viewed this job as me being "just someone's assistant".

Paul himself started off as a newbie wrestler with a gimmick of a stuck-up aristocratic man who thought he was better than everyone else and it was... well. Again, we all have to start somewhere.

Of course, discouraging comments like 'maybe one day you'll have a more important role, Vivianna.' Or 'Are you sure you wanna be someone's assistant for the rest of your life?' or, 'why don't you just find a good man? You'll be set for life!' got to me from time to time.

But I couldn't let them.

It wasn't about them anyway.

Many of them would rather shame others for how they progressed in life, or they'd choose for someone else to solve their problems.

I wasn't raised that way. Between my mother and I, we worked our asses for everything we had.

I knew deep down that there was no shame in working underneath someone else. Plus, a personal assistant kept the engine running smoothly. It kept the person's life in order, and it kept everything functioning in an efficient way.

That's some superhero shit. Why would I be embarrassed by that?

So here I was, psyching myself to walk into WWE HQ.

I gave the ruffles of my sapphire blue blouse and my simple black pencil skirt I paired it with, a once over with the lint roller I kept in my car, checked my makeup for any smudges and I checked that my curls were all in place before I stepped out and I geared up for what I had a sneaking suspicion would be the wildest ride of my life....