14. a nice boy

"Badge. Gun. Now."

Terra's eyebrow arched as she gazed at me with that stupid stare of maternal disappointment.

"Are you serious?"

"As serious as a heart attack."

"Terra, I've done nothing wrong. I'm going to yoga. I'm downloading knitting patterns on Etsy... I go to therapy every week. Taking my badge and gun is-is unjustified. It's overkill –"

A knock at the door halted my tirade.

A feminine voice spoke behind me, "Oh, my apologies, Director Marquez. I'll come back later."

Terra's chair swiveled as she waved the person in, "It's fine. Have you already finished revisions?"

"Yes. I wanted to hand those over personally."

I turned, recognition washing over me.

Terra accepted the file, pursing her lips in a sigh, "Collins, this is Agent Jieun Yoon, one of our newest in clandestine ops – transferred from Langley last month. I understand you've met already."

Flora freaking Chang.

Jieun bowed her head just slightly, "Uh, yes. Informally. I'm Jieun. It's really, really nice to meet you – I hear great things. And I'm sorry... for all the things you're currently navigating, Agent Collins."

My eyebrows raised involuntarily. It wasn't her fault.

I mustered up a smile that couldn't reach my eyes, "Agent Yoon, welcome to the team."

"Thank you," she smiled, looking at me squarely, "I hope we have the opportunity to work together in the future. I'm- I'm rooting for you. Okay. Director Marquez, I'll be at my desk if you need anything."

"Thank you, Jieun."

"Is she your inside man now?"

"Inside woman – yes."

"So you're investigating Lebek?"

"Not him directly, no."

"Terra, please, please let me help you. I don't care how many freshmen you pull from Langley... no one is better equipped than me."

"You better thank your lucky stars I don't fire you for insubordination."

I leaned back in the chair, "You really think I'd run an op without your approval?"

Terra fixed me with a look, her blowout bouncing as her head tilted, "I know you ran an op without my approval. And you forced poor Jieun's hand – now she feels like she sold out her hero."

"Aww. Poor little recruit. I don't remember you ever coddling me..."

"Your badge and your gun, Agent Collins."

I felt the oncomings of sickly desperation, "I was invited to that party, Terra. How was I supposed to know it'd be littered with B605 wannabes? Ask Flora- Jieun. Ask Jieun. I was a guest invited by Liam Lebek."

"You may have been on the guest list, but you used that poor boy. I mean, really, the auction? You better freaking pray that nobody recognized you. And, honestly, AB, how am I supposed to protect you if they did?"

I wouldn't bring up the elephant in the conversation unless she brought him up.

"Terra. I'm not lying to you. I had no clue about the auction. Liam signed me up. I thought... I thought I was helping the children, for goodness sake. You have to believe me. I'm dying at home. I want to help," I brought a hand to my face, exasperated.