Broken

It was only hours later, when the sun had long since set, that Xiaotian's door creaked open.

Sneaking into the kitchen for a snack, minding the late hours, he snagged a peach from the cabinet. He made sure to keep as quiet as possible as he fumbled in the kitchen.

He returned the plate he had used for the apple slices, pausing when he noticed his dinner left on the counter for him. Wrapped up to keep fresh and a note from his Baba.

"We love you."

Xiaotian's tail lowered, staring at the plate for what felt like forever. He eventually lifted it to take with him. Turning, he found his Father asleep on the couch, almost dropping everything he held in surprise. Catching it all, he cringed and quickly checked on his Dad to ensure he hadn't stirred.

He hadn't.

Xiaotian quietly exhaled, definitely not wanting to interact with him at this point in time.

He had thought perhaps his Father had eventually gone to bed with his Baba, but Xiaotian supposed he wasn't the only one who felt uneasy in his own bed.

Tiptoeing, not sure how he hadn't noticed him at first, he peered down at his Father. Reports were strewn across his chest.

He was never one for politics so most likely had fallen asleep going over them. A lot of them were pictures and symbols that had been designed by Azure's court as a sort of personal language to use between him and his subordinates.

A security measure in case anyone unwanted got a hold of their documents.

Also a means for Wukong to actually understand what he was reading.

Xiaotian knuckle walked quietly to the couch, balancing his food against his tail as he peered at his Father. He seemed tired...

He felt his parents were always tired.

Feeling grumpy at the sight of him, Xiaotian scowled. He stuck his tongue at his Dad, mocking him as he slept.

He hated him.

He hated him...!

"..." Xiaotian flipped his father off, making faces at him. Think you are so right alllll the time! Dumb dumb dumb! DUMB!

He didn't feel better after verbally insulting him.

Slowly lowering his hand, his expression darkened into something sadder.

He had told his Dad he hated him.

Did he?

He wasn't sure anymore.

His heart was still filled with those stories. Still filled with the idea of one day traveling the world and seeing those sights.. With his Father.

How his heart ached for something as wonderful as that. How he wanted to walk side by side with him, and see the world. Was that something truly out of reach?

Overwhelmed, wishing nothing more for things to return to how they were- blissfully ignorant to this desire in his chest, he sighed.

Crouched beside the couch, face to face with his father, Xiaotian frowned. It was a bizarre sort of thing how his Dad was Monkey King. He was so unabashedly strewn across the couch, completely vulnerable and soft.

He poked his Father's cheek, drawing a hearty snore from the man.

This man was feared by all three realms.

Not that he didn't understand in a way. His Dad could be terrifying. But his dad was... Well, his Dad. Goofy and gullible sometimes. Always smelling like peaches and a smile like sunshine. The softest belly that Xiaotian once adored pressed his face against to take his naps.