12. Chapter: Walk in the park

Hey! It's me again. Hope you enjoyed the eleventh chapter! I personally took a small break from writing and by the time you're seeing this, we're probably already in 2024. But just understand that the holidays and school as well consume literal weeks of time. That's why this one took so long to write. Sorry :(((((((

Note: English is not my mother tongue so excuse me if I make any sort of grammar mistake and notify me so I can look into it. I won't keep you waiting any longer though, have fun with the twelfth chapter!

___________

M: "Lazy! What are you doing?! If you're sick, why would you run like that!!".

L: "I am so so sorry Monika. I had to! I- no, We were endangered!".

M: "What?! What are you even talking about?? It was so nice and warm there, now we're in the middle of the city park and it's cold!".

L: "Look. I know it sounds bad, but please believe me. We wouldn't have wanted to stay there. Didn't you see the two people walking up to us?".

M: "No? Can you explain?".

L: "Uhm, not really. But promise me to not question my decisions, ok? I don't want anything to happen to you because of me, so just trust me.".

M: *visible confusion*

L: "It'll all make sense some day. But for now, I feel like it's better we keep going. It's goddam cold outside! You wanna go to a restaurant of some sort?".

M: "Uhm, I guess I wouldn't mind going someplace else. But what about these cups?"

Both of us are still holding a cup full of warm coffee or chocolate in my case. The steam is erupting from its surface. The park is empty except for a few people taking their dog for a walk or the occasional grandma carrying a basket of bread home. The sky is completely covered by a thick layer of clouds, the wind shakes the leaves of the nearby trees, causing even the last remaining brown shriveled up ones to descend to the ground. The sun is slowly setting, the street lights are turning on one by one. Monika is standing in front of me, staring in to my eyes, waiting for a response. I can't help it.

L: "You're right. Honestly, I feel guilty for tearing you away from Daniele's. It was so nice and cozy there. I can understand if you'd rather go home now. My behavior deserves no more than to be punished equivalently. Know that, even though it doesn't really matter now, I'm truly sorry. Oh, and you can keep the cup. I'll pay Lilly for it."

Monika doesn't move a muscle. She keeps staring into me with her sharp emerald eyes. I can't see her expression change behind her scarf, so I probably assumed correctly. But it gets even more clear once she turns around and starts wandering off. So I do the same.

But I don't get very far, as two arms suddenly wrap around my stomach from behind me.

M: "You're such a dummie you know?".

Upon turning around, I see Monika once again in front of me, and a broken coffee mug behind her.

M: "You really thought I would leave just because of a stupid cup of coffee? I don't quite understand your reasoning, but if you get the impression that someplace isn't safe, I don't want to hold you back."

Even though I can't see it, Monika's smile shines through her eyes.

L: "Will you go with me then?".

She nods.

L: "Then how about we go to a sweet restaurant here somewhere. Is that fine?".

She nods.

___________