prologue

cass's pov:

i walked outside into the chilly air. it was spring, the verge of summer, but it was a cold day that came out of nowhere. i walked to the mailbox. i stopped to pull a flower out of the ground halfway down the driveway. i tucked it behind my ear before continuing down my driveway. 

i pulled open my mailbox and grabbed the contents inside. a package for mom, junk mail, and, huh, a letter addressed to me. i shimmied back inside to escape the cold. i put the mail on the table but took my letter and went up to my room. i plopped down on my bed and ripped it open. 

the white note had fancy handwriting on it and it said:

dear miss cassie bennet, 

we are pleased to inform you that you've been accepted into our one year program to stay at a mansion on the beach. if you stay the whole year, you will win $1,000,000. if you leave, you shall be compensated and returned home safely. if you intend to go, please fill out the form below.

i think i screamed. my dad came into the room with a concerned look on his face. "what's wrong CC?" i wriggled the letter in my hand to show him. daddy  crossed the room to take it and when he read it through, he looked at me again and smiled. 

"this is great! i can't believe this. ice cream to celebrate!" 

i smiled and hugged my dad. 

alex's pov:

"alex!! there is something for you in the mail!" 

i rolled over on my bed, scratching my head and getting up. my dad was yelling at me from downstairs. i checked my phone and sighed. it was 7:30 in the morning. why was dad up so early?

i walked out of my room and to the living room. my dad was sitting on the couch with the mail on his lap. he had wrinkled around his eyes and he was looking through some bills. he always looked like this when he was looking at important things. 

"hey dad. what did you want?" i sat down beside him and peered over his arm to look at the letters. he handed me one of the letters. i took it and opened it. it read: 

dear mister alexander solis:

we are pleased to inform you that you've been accepted into our one year program to stay at a mansion on the beach. if you stay the whole year, you will win $1,000,000. if you leave, you shall be compensated and returned home safely. if you intend to go, please fill out the form below.

"oh shit." i was shocked. i didn't even know i had been entered into this contest. i glanced at my dad and he looked up to read the letter. his eyes lit up and i knew then. "you entered me in this contest didn't you?" i  at my dad  more intently. he saw his relief and maybe some guilt at not telling me. 

"hey, it'll be fun kid. just give it a chance. maybe you'll make some really good friends."!

i got up and walked back towards my room, still holding the letter. i guess it's a good thing i love meeting new people. 

este's pov:

i was making pancakes for myself. mom had already left for work and i was home alone. i still had on my pjs and my hair was going everywhere. i turned off the oven and heard a click as the mail dropped inside the door. i walked through the hallway to grab the mail.