chapter 1

CASS'S POV 

i threw my hairbrush at my 9 year old brother as he ran away with my suitcase. i missed of course and i chased him down the hallway. he ran to his room and closed the door. i tossed the door open and saw my suitcase and my brother nowhere to be seen. 

"brodie, come out. where are you?" 

i walked into the room and looked around, making sure he wasn't in the closet. i heard a shuffling from under his bed. a smile crept onto my face as i got onto my knees and found myself face to face with my little brother. 

"hey dude. i need my suitcase."

"i know." 

"can you give it back?" 

"no. i don't want you to leave." 

i sighed and i noticed for the first time that his eyes were red. he's been crying. i put my hand under the bed and he held it. he was going to be so lonely when i was away. we only had each other and Dad. now it would be just them. 

"hey, if you ever miss me, you can stay in my room. just crawl into my bed, and it will feel like a big hug from me. like this." i pulled him out from under the bed and gave him the biggest hug i could muster. he put his head on my shoulder. 

"it'll be alright. just act right for Dad and i'll be home before you know it. now, i need my suitcase now please." 

brodie reached back under and pulled out my suitcase. i took it from him. i picked up brodie and carried him and my suitcase back down the hall to my bedroom. i sat both on my bed and leaned down to pick up my hairbrush. 

"put this in my suitcase along with that shirt lying there please." 

brodie rushed to comply. he also threw in some things he thought i needed, like candy, yellow and white socks, and colored pencils. i smiled and slipped in my comfort toy. it was a small bee. i'd had to since i was two. when i turned around, brodie had crammed five books and a pillow into my suitcase. 

"dude! i don't need my pillow!" i laughed. "and which books are those?" 

brodie squinted at the titles. "the summer i turned pretty, percy jackson, the third harry potter, lore, and six of crows." 

"oh ok  i'll keep those. throw in cruel prince and a good girl's guide to murder." 

he scrunched his eyebrows at the title of the last book but he scurried to do as i asked. by the time an hour had passed, we had packed all a girl could need, including maybe everything yellow in my room. it was brodie and my comfort color. 

"ok, i'm going to have to leave soon. you promise to behave?"

he nodded. his eyes were tearing up again. i held him in a hug as i heaved my suitcase of the bed and picked him up. i carried them downstairs to where our dad was sitting at the island in the kitchen. he was drinking coffee and reading the news. he looked up as we entered. 

"if it isn't my two favorite people. ready to go?"

i nodded we went to the car. i sat down brodie and we got into the car and before i knew it, i was off to the airport to start the best year of my life. 

hey y'all!! so sorry this chapter came after like 5 weeks after i published the prologue. but it's out now!! be expecting alex's pov next. idk when that will be out lmao. hope you enjoyed the chapter. love y'all 💗