Three

It's a grey kind of day, quiet with only the wind, Stiles and I speaking. After a very long walk, we arrive into town, with little to no people around. There are empty looking houses in the small town square surrounded by few cafes and stores. A bookshop catches my eye so I go in and the scent of unread pages wafts over my face. Stiles waits for me outside as I wander the small store, with no clerk in sight. I call out a greeting, only to be met with silence. My fingers glide across book spines, aching to be read, and one book sticks out to me. It's more worn out than the other books, the spine is bent, the pages discoloured. I go to pick it up when someone touches my shoulder. I twist my head around and see an elderly woman a few centimeters below me.

"Hello there. Are you interested in books?" Her voice croaks.

She's a small lady, plump and smiley looking, but pale and her eyes are staring off into something behind me. I nod and she takes my hand, immediately my hairs stand on end. She's freezing.

"Take it. Please." She grabs the book I was looking at with her free hand and presses it into my palm. I turn around to see if Stiles is still outside and when I turn back I'm met with a short burst of cold wind, with no lady in sight. The book is still pressed firmly into my hand. Gingerly, I walk over to the door and pull it open when I hear indistinct whispers very close to me. I shake it off and step outside to join Stiles who's eyeing the book in my hand. He doesn't address it, we carry on the tour. Stiles leads us to a cafe, telling me that the owner has been there longer than any other residents- few of which I've seen. The door jingles as it opens, alerting the man behind the counter of pastries and a coffee machine. His face lights up as he sees us walk in, welcoming us and urging us to sit down by the window- the view being mini stores and a colourless cobble street. Without even asking, the man brings over two coffees and apple turnovers.

"Am I wrong to assume apple is a favourite of yours?" The man smiles down at me placing the plates down in front of Stiles and I. I'm slightly taken aback, I take a minute to respond.

"No, you're actually right." I let out a confused laugh. The man walks away smiling, leaving us to our own company. Stiles tucks in and gives me a strange look when I pick at the turnover.

"What's up?" He asks sipping his coffee. I place the book in my hand down on the table and shake my head, then take a bite of the pastry. It's heavenly. There's an odd aftertaste however, like metal. I can't seem to stop eating it though. I clean off the plate and mug, feeling energised. Stiles smiles widely and places money on the table, standing up and leading us out.

"It's a great book, Miss." The man calls as we approach the door. My head turns to him and I give him a small smile, nod and follow Stiles out. What does he mean? After an hour of walking around the ghost town, we walk back to the house, the high cliff side looking at me like I'm its' next prey.

"Don't you drive?" I ask Stiles as we walk up a hill. He chuckles and shrugs.

"Thought you'd like the scenery and fresh air."

Back at the house, something's gone wrong. Something has happened. We walk in and are greeted by a screaming Skylar; William shouting with a tone of despair. Stiles runs up the stairs to the commotion, I linger by the bottom of the stairs, unsure of what to do. I try and listen in, trying to figure out if it's a supernatural issue or not but all of a sudden, it stops. The house is silent and still. My own breathing is all I can hear. That's when I hear it, a slight murmur in a hushed volume.

"Leave" It whispers. I look around myself for the source. My equipment is in my room so I rely on myself. The voice is coming from down the hallway, I follow it cautiously as it leads me to a seemingly hidden door behind the staircase. I trace the keyhole with the pad of my finger and bend down onto my knees to look through it. I edge my face towards the keyhole and see darkness, with little light in one area. A tap at my shoulder. A bloody Skylar. I rush to my feet and my eyes find the wound, she's cut her hand wide open. I hold her hand in mine, I'm about to say something when William appears. "Let me bandage this one up, sorry for interrupting your tour." William says, no emotion on his face. I blink at him and can't find the right words to say. "So you've found the basement." Stiles speaks from behind me. I spin around and he's leaning on the basement door with a small smile on his lips. "How'd you know this was the hot-spot for activity?" He asks. I shrug. "Something called me here." I say quietly, looking at my hand which is painted a crimson red. Stiles stares down at my hand, and it's almost as if his eyes are vibrating. I can't be right. "I'm just going to wash my hands first." I say and walk to the kitchen, Stiles a few footsteps behind me. The water dilutes the red into a shade of pink as I wash my hands from the blood. Turning around, I see Stiles looking down at his feet, lost in his thoughts. I take a step towards him and that seems to catch his attention. There's a moment of silence between us for a minute. "Ready to continue?" He smiles widely. I hesitate but smile back and nod in agreement.