The Retirement - The 2014 Saga

The Retirement

Author's note and disclaimer – As I have posted in my other story, I have a severe's block and am suffering from some depression too. A lot due to the insane pressure at my work and also due to other issues. I tried my hand at something at a new genre, not believing that I could finish it, but it was as if it wrote itself. It is a really long story, but it not feel right to end it before it did.

I am really lucky to have started on  Wattpad and you all, my readers, you have been fantastic. Every single comment acts like a balm against the wounds of the world.

Please let me know if you like the storyline. I may write some more if inspiration strikes and will also try to update my original story soon.

Please read and review.  

Disclaimer - This is a fan fiction. A little tribute/my version of what may have happened to lead to or after these events. Other than the general outline of the events (which actually took place) everything else is made up. Some events are taken from interviews etc but the rest remains a head canon of mine. It is probably not what happened (more than probably) and should not be taken as any modicum of truth. I am just writing the story as I try to cure myself of a bad case of writer's block and to get out of a depression episode.  

There is no intention to hurt or malign anybody. All members of ICT are most respected by me and this is just a fictional point of view. No incident have any resembled to what actually may have happened.

Primarily – Mahirat.

Edit - Normally I do not look for comments as anything which is required per say, though they are always very welcome, but will really love comments in this story as this is a completely new genre for me. 🙏🏼

The Retirement - The 2014 version.

It was the 30th of December 2014.

Melbourne, Australia.

The Press Conference had been tough. Addressing the team had been tougher. Keeping a calm expression with any emotion neatly wrapped up, had been the toughest.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni had been his usual slightly goofy self during the Press Conference and his address to his team mates, his brothers in arms, had been light hearted. He had noticed the strains of shock, bewilderment, tears and even some devastation on the faces of most of the youngsters and his friends and seniors. He had noticed and had not heeded them, for the time being; he had not been in any position to at the moment. 

He had noticed the silence in the room when he had announced his successor to the role of Captain, though it was pretty much an open secret. But was his retirement the same way? There was no way of saying for sure.

MS had been unable to meet Sonu's (Suresh Raina's) eyes, especially. He had not discussed this step with anybody, not even his family. He had informed Sakshi, his wife, but only after the Press Conference and just before the press release by BCCI.

Though clearly surprised, Sakshi had not raised too many questions, for which MS was grateful.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni – Debuted in Indian Test Cricket on 2nd December 2005 against Sri Lanka and he now bows out in Australia after almost exactly 9 years. He couldn't even complete a decade, and remained at having played only 90 test matches – unable to make himself reach the much coveted 100 matches.

MS laughed in derision and then looked around in self-consciousness; he had forgotten that he was not sequestered in his hotel room but was sitting in an almost hidden café not too far from the team hotel.