000; prologue

prologue !THE CALL

prologue !
THE CALL

 "WAKE UP!" Katia Garcia had been having a pleasant sleep when she was suddenly awoken by a harsh voice and somebody shaking her around. She opened her eyes quickly, just to roll them when she realized it was one of her two housemates, Jae.

"What?" she snapped, sitting up but making sure to pull the covers with her. "I was sleeping!"

"Oh grow up, it's 8 at night," the slightly older woman told her with her hands on her hips. "I have to go, I'm on call, and your phone is blowing up downstairs."

Jae was a resident at New York Presbyterian, so she was gone a lot of the time. In fact, all three of the housemates were gone a lot. Jae was doing her residency, Katia was an MLB reporter who had just come home after a trip with the Yankees AAA team, and Isiah, the third and final roommate, was a baseball player. 

"Going to see your little fuck friend?" Katia teased, finally getting out of bed and grabbing a hair tie from her dresser and throwing her long black hair into a ponytail. 

"Don't be a bitch."

"I'm not," she said. "Believe me, I wish I had a doctor to make me open my mouth and say 'ah'."

"Izzy has your phone." Jae opened the door and started towards the stairs, Katia right behind her.

The two had met at a party when they were 22. Jae, who at the time had been a serious med student, didn't even notice Katia until the girl threw up on her. The two exchanged some not so pleasant words while cleaning each other off but despite that, they had swapped numbers and been friends ever since.

"Call me when you get off!" Katia shouted as Jae began to gather her belongings.

"I will!" She heard the door slam shut as she walked into the kitchen. 

Isiah was sitting on the kitchen counter with her phone in his hands, eating a protein bar. He looked up as he heard her enter the kitchen. 

"Finally," he muttered, tossing her the phone. She rolled her eyes while scrolling through the many notifications she had received over the past couple of hours.

"Shut up."

The bond between the two ran deep, dating back to their childhood. Katia and her family had moved to Hawaii when she was 11. On the first day at her new school, Isiah was the first person to talk to her after he noticed she was lost. That day they sat together at lunch, and after school they had hung out in the park. Sleepovers had become regular for the two and everybody remembered the summer of 7th grade, when Katia had slept at Isiah's house pretty much everyday for the entire summer. They called themselves best friends, but to everybody around them it was clear there was more between them.