Chapter 37

When we head to Route 125, we arrive at an island known as the A-B-C Islands. Mark and I decide to fish there and Mark gets a Huntail while I get a Gorebyss. Mark says, "No fair... I want a Gorebyss..."

"Huntail is not bad as well. We try find them again." I say. But the next time we fish the Pokemon, all we find are Clamperl.

"Well, looks like we have to get Huntail or Gorebyss by evolving now." I say. And we realize that we need a Deep Sea Tooth and a Deep Sea Scale.

We notice a bunch of kids race by riding their Huntail and Gorebyss. We see one girl get knocked off her Huntail, but the girl is quick to re-enter the race. Then, a young boy and girl go by on little pedal-boats, deep in an argument over whether Gorebyss or Huntail are better.

Alice blinks in surprise, "Those kids really have a spirit of competition..."

We go to the Pokemon Center on Island A and greet Nurse Joy. Nurse Joy then shows the group her class of students, and they recognize me as the Johto Champion and the Top Coordinator as well.

"Those are the same kids that we met before..." Minami says.

"But why do they seem to fight all the time?" May asks.

"You see, the Huntail Trainers on Island C and the Gorebyss Trainers on Island B have a rivalry. And the Water Races are the competition they have." Nurse Joy says.

"I see." Then the kids, two of them named Nancy and Keith, eagerly ask me for my opinion.

I say, "Well, I have a Clamperl, but I also have a Gorebyss." This causes Keith to frown and Nancy to cheer. "I know that Gorebyss is the best."

Mark says, "Don't worry, I have a Clamperl as well, but I also have a Huntail." And this time it is the other way around.

But as we get to the pool, we find Professor Birch at the pool. "Well if it isn't Ash, May, and you guys! How are you doing?"

"We're doing great, so what are you doing on the island?" Alice asks.

"I'm here to do a little research on the way Clamperl evolves." Professor Birch says.

"So you have found out something?" Minami asks.

"Well, we're still researching about that. And I was just playing." Professor Birch replies. "Teaching's never been my forte, but I know that Clamperl's evolution has to do with the Deep Sea Scale or the Deep Sea Tooth." Birch says.

"I see, so maybe we can find the two items on the islands." Alice says as he nods, then we decide to go to Island C first, and Nancy is going to join us.

Having reached Island C, Birch tastes the water from a waterfall inside a cave there. "Fascinating. It's quite delicious and filled with minerals." He then takes the water sample.

Just then, we notice Keith and Nancy yells, "What are you doing here?"

"Why do you care?" "For your information we're researching Huntail and that has nothing to do with you!"

"Yeah? What's your point?" "Kids on Island B are not allowed on Island C! Now go home!"

"Hey! Calm down! I'm just here to do research on my enemies!"

Professor Birch says, "So that means you're also interested in Huntail." He flinches before saying, "Nah! I don't care about Huntail! I only like Gorebyss!"

Then we decide to have him take us to Island B so we can research with Gorebyss. We do the same thing with the water, and Professor Birch says that it is quite different from Island C's.