Chapter Thirty Nine - White Christmas

Jet's POV

"Oh my GOD! WILL YOU SIT STILL PLEASE?!" I shout, shooting daggers at Riley, Nyx, Heath, and Austin.
They freeze instantly, looking at one another and putting down the balls of wrapping paper that they've been throwing at each other. "Sorry..." they mumble.
"I just want one nice picture of all of us before everyone gets too drunk off of the eggnog that I know Mac snuck moonshine into," I say to the group, adjusting my Canon Rebel T7 camera on its tripod.
Mac snickers a few times, "Yyeeaahhhh."
"I knew this shit tasted too good," Hayes grumbles, looking at his moose-shaped cup of eggnog. Yes, just like the ones in "Christmas Vacation."

What? I'm a sucker for the classics.

"Alright, everyone look at the camera," I say as I focus the lense and start the ten-second timer. "And, GO!"

I run around the tripod and practically throw myself in Jackson's lap, a grunt mixed with a laugh sounding from him when my body makes impact. I smile as wide as I can, the hooched-up eggnog definitely helping, as Jackson wraps his arms around me and rests his chin on my shoulder. I can feel his smile against my cheek while he despretly tries to hold in the laugh that threatens to spill over his lips.

"Cheese!!!" Riley yells, making us all laugh as the flash goes off and the shutter clicks.
"Fuckin' kid!" Jackson chuckles, shaking his head at him.
"Shut the fuck up gramps," Riley retorts, sticking his tongue out at Jackson.
Jackson flicks him off.
"I am so offended!" Riley gasps, holding his chest.
"I fucking can't with you two," Penny snickers, rolling her eyes.
"Yeah, but you love me," Riley tells her.
"... yeah..." Penny replies shamelessly.

Riley pulls her in by her chin for a kiss. A genius idea pops into my head.

"The tension in the room doubles as their lips meet," I start, deepening my voice.
"You can practically feel the sexual energy between the two young lovers," Jackson continues.
"She melts into his touch as he deepens the kiss, sliding his tongue into his mouth," I tease, making an overexaggerated French kissing noise.
Riley and Penny break their kiss, shooting me a dirty look.
"Their gaze locks, sending a shockwave of electricity through the room," Jackson adds.
"Seriously?" Riley asks, sounding unamused while cocking his eyebrow at us.
"The tonsil tennis match commences as she wraps her fingers up in his hair," Connor joins.
"His familiar taste overtakes her senses as she has to physically retrain herself from mounting him in front of everyone-" Nyx laughs.
"Alright! That's enough! Assholes!" Penny snaps.
"Ah, so I was right," Nyx says proudly.

Penny and Riley both blush deeply as the entire room bursts out into laughter again.

"Alright! Let's do white elephant now! Please!" Riley begs.
"What's the matter, kid? Can't take the heat?" Jackson inquires.
"Did the picture turn out?" Penny wonders.
"Ooohhh, good point," I agree, pushing myself up onto my feet, rushing over to the camera and hitting the display button.

Surprisingly, the picture is basically perfect. I'm honestly kind of astonished that we managed to get such a great picture on the first try. I smile at the screen. We all sit in our living room in front of our fireplace and floor-to-ceiling windows. A fresh carpet of snow is covering the ground outside, frosting the windows. A fire burns brightly in the fireplace, casting a warm orange glow throughout the picture. Our Christmas tree stands in the far corner, lit and decorated with care.

Across our various couches, loveseats, and lounges is our family. Mac, Hayes, Theo, Anna, Adelaide, Lucy, Evans, Margaret, Heath, Holly, Avi, Sarah, Connor, Brian, Susie, Riley, Penny, Nyx, Jordan, Steve, Austin, Verna, Jackson, and I. We're all smiling brightly with our arms wrapped around the people next to us. Even Hayes and Mac are smiling. Tears start to well in my eyes as I continue to stare at my family in front of me.