The Adventure of the Afflicted Soutenour

This story is not mine.
It was written by luciabell on ao3.

John Watson the dearest biographer and companion of London's famous detective, caught himself enmeshed in plight, during the sultry forenoon in the latter week of the second month of that year. Brooding and uneased, the biographer walks to and fro, obliviously meandering all the corners of their humble abode. This peculiar demeanour of Dr. Watson was then put to an end, after his acquainted detective, at last heeded unto him. Tossing the address book away from his hold, Sherlock Holmes halfway rose from his favoured armchair, reaching for his cigar pipe, whilst focusing his eyes towards his anxious companion.

"Something bothering you, Watson?" remarked he, lighting his pipe.

"Oh, Holmes! If only you knew, how foolish I've been lately!" said Watson, placing his palm upon his forehead.

"Eh, what do you mean lately, dear friend? Haven't you been half-witted all the time?" replied Holmes wittingly, as he regains his seat.

"Not a good time, Holmes! For goodness' sake!" cried Watson, placing his self upon the sofa beside the detective's armchair.

A minute of ringing silent interfered with the two, as John Watson continued to brood on his seat. Silently, scrutinising this odd behaviour of his companion, Sherlock Holmes can only conclude a single thing from it and that is, his friend just had have a misunderstanding with his wife. There are three reasons for a married man to be agitated; one is his hardship in his labour; two a fight with his wife; lastly, a problem with their child. Sherlock Holmes, considered the latter reason, for as all as he knew, is that his companion does not have any problem at his work, nor even he has a child with his wife that he has to take care and guide with.
Time was not wasted when the dear detective made his remark about his reasonable conclusion, breaking the utter silent that has formed in their dwelling.

"No, no! Mary is irrelevant to this, Holmes!" responded Watson agitatedly.

"Then pray tell, Watson. It seems illogical for I, to give any more conclusions without facts presented."

"It all started at the day before yesterday," the doctor began shortly, pausing as he let out a cough on his fist.
"So, as I was talking, it was on last Wednesday when I have met with Lord Jack Clayton of the Blackstone Estate. Lord Clayton is not in his best state when we have our dialogues at Dalston. Lord Clayton throughout the whole time of our discussion, complains and agonised with the tightness feeling upon his chest. And there and then, Holmes I tell you, this lordship merely collapsed upon I! My features were no compared to his, he was well built and unbelievably stout when I grabbed him by his arm. Fortunately, his butler, Sawyer Jones, arrived at the time of need. That butler of his lordship was extremely robust, he exerts no force nor energy to bring Lord Clayton back on his seat.
'"I apologise for that Dr. Watson"' the lordship said, then he continued '"I've heard that you're married, are you not?'" he asked which I thought was out of the question after what had happened to him. Nonetheless, I have answered truthfully, which I all hope I did not at that time. Do not think of something, Holmes! It's not that I'm perfidious towards my wife, no that's not it, Holmes understand that, for it is about what the lordship had remarked and asked me after I answered that I was indeed in a wedlock. '"Good man, a good man you are indeed, Dr. Watson. Surely, you have children too. For, it is pitiful and disdaining for a man who cannot even gave his wife a child or children rather.'" Remarked the lordship which had finally put me on my dilemma, Holmes. It's not peculiar for a man to asked for a high moral virtue, however at the same time neither do I nor Mary had desired for a child. So, I thought there shall be no harm if I were to lie once, it's not like Lord Clayton will personally go to our home and look for my children. Then after thinking thoroughly about my respond, I answered '"Yes, I do have children with Mary, two exactly, a son and a daughter," Watson stopped, seeing his detective friend turning reddish from repressing his laughter.