Sirloin and Apple Pie

Once again, this story is not mine.
This story is by yurenome on AO3

The rain was pouring outside when the raven haired man finally finished his day of work. Dark clouds were always hiding the sky in England, so it was quite common for the locals to carry an umbrella even during sunny days. The people in the small streets of Durham were all attempting to cover themselves from the rain, waiting for the sun to come back so they could enjoy their days. Today however, the rain seemed pretty insistent.

Sherlock didn't plan on staying in Durham too long, since he was only there for solving a case. A quite boring one in reality, considering he resolved it in less than 3 hours. The culprit was apparently not a genius, since he involuntarily left a lot of proofs behind him, and, at Sherlock's grand displeasure, he didn't seem to have any links with the Lord of the Crime. After that boring day, he really just wanted to go home, drown in cocaine and tobacco and play violin all night until miss Hudson violently asks him to let her sleep. He needed to clear his head and desperately wanted to think about more interesting things, such as that well known murderer or maybe even about William. He couldn't deny that the second Moriarty was a truly interesting person. Captivating, even. Sherlock was the type to get bored really quickly, nevertheless, he was certain that he could talk with William for days and nights without being tired of it. His deductions were as good as his, which was utterly impressive since Sherlock was considered as the best detective of his generation. If William suddenly decided to change his career and become a consultant detective, he would definitely be as good as Sherlock. Still, the thought of his dear friend becoming detective wasn't really unpleasant, as it would mean they could resolve cases together, like that one time in the train. Even if it was brief, it was probably one of Sherlock's favorite memory.

Anyway, the famous consultant detective stopped his thoughts there as he decided to stop somewhere before going back to the capital. If his memory was correct (and it almost always was), Durham's university was supposed to be not so far from where his case ended. He was absolutely not certain his friend would be there, as he didn't know his work hours, but even if he was not, he needed a place to hide from the deluge anyway. He didn't plan it would rain even in the countryside, so his only way of staying dry was to walk close to the buildings. He walked like that for about 10 minutes before he finally reached Durham's majestic university. He entered the gate and started walking toward the building, slaloming between the students, trying to find the blond's office. Sherlock hoped his friend didn't have any classes at that time, otherwise it would mean he would have to wait outside. Not that he cared if he was allowed or not to enter in a university without authorization, he just didn't want to invade William's personal space.

He stopped in front of a door made of oak. It was still raining cats and dogs outside, and his clothes were a little wet. He hoped William wouldn't mind. Sherlock slowly raised his hand to knock on the door, hoping someone was inside.

"Come in." Lucky.

The detective cautiously opened the door, as the professor raised his eyebrows when seeing the familiar face.

"Mr Holmes! I was not expecting to see you here."

"Yo, Liam! I'm a man of surprise after all, and ya still owe me a dinner."

" I see.. should I understand you came all the way to Durham just to see me? I would be honored if that was the case"

"Ya wish. I had a case to resolve, a quite easy one. I came here for the free meal."