──── 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞. 𝐞𝐱𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐞 𝐚𝐠𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐨𝐫.

Joseph Conrad said, "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary. Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

      THE GROWLING RUMBLE of Jacquelyn's motorcycle came to an abrupt halt as the young woman parked and removed the key, swinging off her ride and unbuckling the canine from her restraints

      THE GROWLING RUMBLE of Jacquelyn's motorcycle came to an abrupt halt as the young woman parked and removed the key, swinging off her ride and unbuckling the canine from her restraints. She clipped the leash to her harness and allowed for her to jump off, before walking toward her destination — the airport.

     Due to the timing of her flight from Brunswick to Quantico, she had missed the original meeting brief — although she had been told there barely was one, only a basic overview of the case they would be working. Her superior had advised her to catch the team at the small government airport and board the jet with them to discuss the details further, and now, under the cover of darkness, she was heading toward the aircraft, or, more importantly, the people gathered beside it.

     Walking swiftly, she approached the jet, her single eye taking in each person. No one spoke — only the team supervisor known as Aaron Hotchner acknowledged her presence with a single, barely perceptible nod as she climbed the stairs and boarded the aircraft.

      The faint scent of oranges greeted her as she stepped into the luxurious space that would serve as the transport. Most of the other members of the team had placed their belongings into the proper storage and had taken their seats, but Jacquelyn could still feel their eyes on her as she walked toward an unoccupied seat, setting her rucksack down and giving her dog the order to lay down while the jet took off.

     "Welcome aboard, Jacquelyn." Agent Hotchner greeted her verbally as she sat down, and the plane door sealed behind him. "Everyone, this is SSA Jacquelyn McKenna. She and her partner have been assigned this case with us." He gestured to the others who were on board, speaking directly to her once again. "As you know, I'm Agent Aaron Hotchner. There's Agent Derek Morgan—"

      The dark-toned male lifted a finger from the armrest of his seat, his expression calculating.

     "—Agent Jason Gideon—"

     An older gentleman didn't even bother looking up, focused more on the papers in his hand.

     "— and Doctor Spencer Reid."

      He looks like he's eighteen. Jacquelyn focused her eye on the young male, inclining her head. "Hey." She spoke quietly, glancing at Agent Hotchner again before crossing her legs as the jet rumbled to life.

     "German accent?" Spencer's eyes lit up.

      "Yes." She replied, fingers twitching. "My parents were German."

     The aircraft shifted, and Jacquelyn felt the acceleration in a much higher rate of speed than typical planes she was used to flying, though her discomfort was shown merely by a twitch of her lips.