PART SIX

You're welcome <3

Word count; 2,304

Dianne

With the night coming to a close, almost everyone had said their fairwells. I had returned from the bar, drifting around everyone left to bid goodbyes and retreiving my coat from a chair near Eugene. I watched Joe as he wandered outside, digging for a cigarette.

"Everything all right?" Gene asked.

Eyes still fastened to the door of the hotel lobby, I stayed quiet. After all, what was different now to back then? I got on that train for a reason; I needed to conquer my life on my own for a while. And I had failed.

"Would it be okay if you watched Stanley tonight?"

Eugene slid into his jacket, "Where will you be?"

"We have some things to talk about..."

He realised what consisted of we and said, "Yeah, sure. Of course."

"Thank you." I glanced around, wondering where the boy had disappeared off to.

He was sat by a table nearby, tying up his shoe lace. His cattlesman hat was lounging on the floor, having fallen off as he leant over. I picked it up, placing it on his head just as he finished with his laces.

"Eugene is going to take you back, okay?"

"Why?" He wasn't frustrated, only confused.

"I have some things to do."

"With Mr Liebgott?"

I beamed, "Yes. With Mr Liebgott."

"Why?"

"Do you remember..." I crouched down, hating the height difference. "When I said that I pushed him away?"

A nod.

"That was a very sad time in my life. And I needed space to heal." I took his hands into mine. "But... I don't think I want space anymore. I want to talk to him. And I haven't had the chance to tonight."

"I understand." He said calmly. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am sure." I grinned. "I don't think I have ever been more sure. Kind of like when I saw you playing in the snow, and I knew I couldn't leave you there alone."

Stanley smiled, "Thank you."

I held out my smallest finger, "You be a good boy for Eugene, all right? Don't trick him into buying you hot cocoa."

He crossed his smallest finger over mine, "I won't."

We both stood up. I readjusted his hat, pinching his cheek playfully before he ran back to Eugene. Sparing a wave, the two left, and I was completely alone, yet to realise how long it would be until I would see everyone together again.

Two minutes passed. Liebgott returned inside, expecting nothing but his jacket to be left behind. He halted momentarily, almost debating it in his head, then stepped forward, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

"Hello."

"Hi." I replied, arms wrapped around my torso.

"Aren't you...?" He pushed his tongue to his inner cheek.

I shook my head. He reached for his jacket, currently hung over the back of a chair.

"Do you, uh..." He thought through what to say. "Are you hungry?"