Chapter 6 part 3

"Emi! Emi! Emi!" I heard Jasmine's voice in the distance as I was in the middle of a dream. A bad dream. 

"Tell me where our daughter is," Father's voice came from above where Mommy was chained and bleeding on the floor. 

"I'll die before I tell you anything!" Mommy growled fiercely. 

"So be it!" Father said and raised his whip to strike Mommy. 

"Emi!" Jasmine's voice sounded urgent as I gasped awake. She flinched back while I breathed heavily and wiped the sweat off of my forehead. "Emi?" She sounded worried. 

"It's alright Jazy," I said as I tried to reassure her. "Just a bad dream." 

Jasmine whimpered and went to nuzzle my head. I've been having bad dreams ever since my episode with Alice the first night we stayed in the cave with her and the egg. Each one was about Mommy and they became more real every night that I dreamed. I don't know what was going on but I knew Mommy was in terrible danger. 

"You've been having lots of dreams, Emily," Alice said from her side of the cave which was on the opposite side of where Jasmine and I were. "You want to talk about them?" 

I growled, telling Alice to back off. The only person I talked to about my dreams with was Mommy and sometimes Jasmine but Mommy was the main one who I relied on. It was painful enough knowing that she wasn't with me and was in pain. I also didn't want Alice to know how hard my dreams affected me. 

Trying not to look hurt at my rejection of conversation, Alice turned to look at the egg. "Look!" She said, pointing to the egg. It had multiple cracks on it now. "It's hatching!" 

Jasmine gasped with excitement and cried out, "Emi! That what Jazy wanna tell Emi! Egg hatch! Egg hatch!" She went closer to the egg and looked on excitedly as we gathered around to watch the egg start to hatch. It was moving and cracking, the baby dragon tried to get out. I had read my dragon books to Jasmine, to help her keep her occupied and so she could help me take care of the dragon when it came out. 

"Emi! Emi! Emi!" Jasmine cried as she pointed at the hatching egg. 

"I know Jazy," I said, as I kept my voice from being impatient. "We're going to have a dragon soon." 

When the dragon finally came out of the egg, it looked tiny compared to the giant creatures Alice and I had fought and killed. It was red with orange scales, with tiny horns and long claws and tail and wings. It looked curious around the cave until it landed eyes with Jasmine. 

It made a delighted roar as it ran and leaped into Jasmine's arms. Jasmine squealed, "Dragon no!" As they were knocked to the ground. The dragon licked her face, embracing her as its own. 

"Jazy!" I cried with fear. 

I began to rush toward her when Alice grabbed my arm to stop me. I turned on her and growled. I needed to save my sister and no one, not even Alice, was going to stop me. 

"Wait, stop Emily!" Alice pleaded with me. "The dragon isn't hurting her! Look!" 

I looked but with caution since I still didn't trust Alice, and saw that Jasmine was laughing and just playing with the dragon. As I relaxed myself, Alice let go of me. Maybe I was more protective of Jasmine than I thought I was.

Alice smiled. "You would do anything to keep your sister safe," she said. "But they're just playing. You don't always need to rush into things. It can get you in trouble." 

As I watched Jasmine play with the dragon, I replied before I could stop myself, "We're not used to being with other creatures." Alice listened silently. "For eight years it was just me, Jasmine, and my Mommy." Alice smiled when I said Mommy like it was funny to her or something. I ignored her smile. "We never played with any other kids and kept to ourselves. Mommy was worried that Father would find us and after he did and tried to kill me again, Mommy wiped his memories of us away and then went missing a little while after that. I know she's somewhere in the castle and is in danger." I glanced at Alice, my eyes watering a little. "I'm afraid something terrible will happen to her if we don't get to her in time!"