1. Cursed Energy

I've always felt... different. Out of place, you could say. Kind of like when you see a pizza shop now adding burgers to the menu. It's just not right by the way. But, it's not like it's ever bothered me. I've always had my best friend, Ino, and a few other friends growing up, so I've never felt lonely. I've got a nice family, and I go to a pretty decent school here in Tokyo. It isn't the most prestigious school in the world, my family could never afford something like that, but it's decent. Sadly, many of my friends did end up going to better, more expensive schools. Ino included. It was sad, saying goodbye to my one best friend who had been around since we were both 9. She even said she'd go to this school with me, on graduation day. Can you believe that? She'd already been accepted to another school and everything. But she was willing to give it all up for me.

"Amane, I know that you're actually more sad than happy right now." Ino was grasping my hands as we stood in front of our middle school's gate. Having our picture just taken, our parents are now going through them, seeing if there's at least one decent one amongst the many they took. "I know nobody else from our middle school, at least no one that you're actually friends with, is going to the high school you're going to. I'll tell my parents that I've changed my mind. It's not too late." She lets my hands drop as she makes her way towards where our parents are standing. I quickly reach for her, successfully grabbing her arm.

"No, Ino. I don't want you to give up the chance of going to a prestigious school like that one because of me. You have big dreams and attending a school like the one I'm going to will make it hard for you to chase them. Besides, I want to be able to brag to my kids in the future about how I've got a best friend who's a fashion designer." I smile. It's a genuine smile. Ino smiles back. She starts to tear up and right when I've noticed, she goes in to hug me. I hug her back. We both pull away after a few moments. Her almost silvery blonde hair cascades down her shoulders beautifully. She has the most beautiful complexion. She uses that to her advantage as a model. It's not what she wants to do for a career, but she figured she'd be able to get inspiration from the clothes she models for future designs. The money is a nice bonus too.

"I'll text you at least every few days to give you updates on what's going on. And I'll call you every weekend." I smile, knowing that we're never going to grow apart.

Now that I'm in my second year, things have gotten better. I still talk to Ino, and we actually spent a lot of time together during our break before school started back up. She told me that her fashion designer club, whatever it's called, makes these daily trips to an all-girls middle school not too far from them, to showcase their club and get the girls interested in designing.

I've been doing pretty well myself. It took me a while, but I finally made a few friends. Not anyone I'd really hang with outside of school, besides a school function, but still good enough friends that I sit with at lunch. I ended up joining the literature club, in fact. Never thought in a million years I'd do that. But I found something I really loved after leaving middle school: reading and writing.

So yeah. Everything's been going great. I have all A's. And the literature club is all to a great start this year. Only, these's one thing. For some reason, I feel out of place. It didn't start slow at all, I just woke up one day and felt this weird energy about me, like I was in a different world all of a sudden. It's been like that for the past few weeks, and this morning, I woke up to find a strange creature. It should have freaked me out, but like I've said, I've been feeling like there's this weird energy about me, so, yeah. It's got these large eyes and it's about the size of one converse sneaker. I should know, they're the only type of shoes I wear if I'm not at school. It's got yellow fur, and it almost looks, cute? It followed me around all day while I was at school. Now I'm sitting on the floor in my room staring at it. Both of my parents are in Kyoto right now for business and my little brother's probably still at baseball practice at his middle school. So what should I do? I look to the door of my room, and suddenly remember the computer downstairs that has all the answers I'm looking for.

"Of course Amane! Duuhh! You can just look it up." I hesitantly reached for the creature. I hadn't tried to grab it or touch it before now. However, when my hand finally wrapped around its little body, I gently lifted it up and carried it to my dad's office, where the computer is located. 

When I reach the computer, I sit down in the swivel chair and place the creature, who I've decided to call Maru, since it's a little more rounded in shape.

I press the power button of the computer and watch as the Windows logo lights up. I click on the Google icon and begin typing away.

'Small, yellow creatures'

No results found.

'Small yellow creature, big eyes.'

No results found.

I press the back space once more, feeling frustrated. Maru walks over with his little stubby legs and touchs my arm. All of a sudden, a bright white flash of light takes over the vision of my eyes, and I'm brought back to a few weeks ago, around when I started to feel this weird energy.

We've been having mice problems. My dad said he'd take care of it. If I'd known he was going to get those sticky traps, I would've told him not to worry, that I'd do something about it. Seeing small creatures like that, stuck, with no where to go, only trying to survive, makes me feel sad. It's weird, because I feel like if it was a rat, I wouldn't of felt bad. But I guess since I find mice cuter I don't mind as much.

I found a few days later, a little mouse stuck to one of the traps. It was still alive, but barely. I was going to try to save it, but I had to go to school soon, and I didn't have time to sit and look up ways n how to save it. I didn't want to mess up my perfect attendance, as bad as that sounds, over something like this. So I found actual rat poison in a cabnet under the sink. It was a powder so it wasn't hard to mix it with a little bit of water. I thought that if I couldn't save it, I'd put it out of its misery. So, I did. It died a few minutes later. I threw it out on my way to school.

I came back to reality and looked down at Maru. Come to think of it, that very next day was when I began to feel weird. And when I think about it more, I remember my dad saying later, after I got home that day from literature club, when I mentioned it to him, he said he'd already caught all of them the day before and taken all the traps up. I kept staring at Maru and thinking, no way.

"You're that mouse. But how...what are you?" I asked it as if it could answer back. It just made a cute little noise in response and turned its head like it didn't understand. 

I looked back at the computer, still at a loss as for what to type in the search bar. In fact, I'm probably even more confused now than I was earlier.

Then I had a light bulb moment.

'Strange energy that bring the dead back to like'

1 result found.

𝕳𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖑𝖊𝖘𝖘, 𝕷𝖔𝖈𝖆𝖑, 𝕮𝖗𝖆𝖟𝖊𝖉𝕸𝖆𝖓 𝖈𝖑𝖆𝖎𝖒𝖘 𝖙𝖔 𝖍𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝖇𝖊𝖊𝖓 𝖆𝖙𝖙𝖆𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖉 𝖇𝖞 𝖆 𝖉𝖊𝖆𝖉 𝖒𝖆𝖓, 𝖘𝖙𝖗𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊 𝖊𝖓𝖊𝖗𝖌𝖞 𝖘𝖚𝖗𝖗𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖍𝖎𝖒

I clicked on the article. Basically, this same man, the homeless guy, attacked and killed another homeless guy the day before over some food or whatever. But, he said when he killed him, it didn't feel like him doing it, like his hands belonged to someone else. He just felt like he had to kill someone though. The next day, the same man he killed, and saw how dead he was, attacked him. They never found the other man. The whole thing was chalked up to one fact: this guy's looney. If I didn't know what I did, I'd say the same.

Maru paws my arm again. He really is cute.

I sigh, feeling frustrated, and put my head in my hands. I have many more questions now. Energy. Energy. Evil Energy. Cursed Energy. That's the word. Cursed. I decide that it's worth a shot and I don't have anything to lose.

'Cursed Energy'

1 result found

𝕿𝖔𝖐𝖞𝖔 𝕸𝖊𝖙𝖗𝖔𝖕𝖔𝖑𝖎𝖙𝖆𝖓 𝕮𝖚𝖗𝖘𝖊 𝕿𝖊𝖈𝖍𝖓𝖎𝖈𝖆𝖑 𝕾𝖈𝖍𝖔𝖔𝖑

Well, I think, that's a mouthful.