9. Shuto

Okay, so remember how I thought I was going crazy because I heard a strange voice speaking to me in my head? Well, I don't think crazy is the exact word to describe it. 

When I opened my eyes, I saw the black spear floating in front of me. I know. Ominous right? I could only stare at first. Inspecting it, I noticed that the cursed energy surrounding it wasn't blue, but black. It gave off evil vibes which I really wasn't down for.

So, are you going to sit there and stare like the idiot you are?

At the sudden voice in my head again, I jumped a little and backed away from the spear.

"Who are you!?" I asked out loud. There wasn't a response for a few seconds and I really was wondering if I was going crazy. But then I thought about all the things I've been through since I arrived at this school and knew that that was the least of my problems.

Why are humans always so slow. Use your brain. Who do you think I am?

"I don't know."

You didn't have to answer that quick! Sigh. Listen. Because I'm only saying this once. My name is Shuto. I was once a very powerful curse. Until I was defeated by my first master and was forced to serve sorcerers. 

I was trying to process the information he was saying. Okay, so. Shuto, a powerful curse, defeated, had a master. Okay. So far, I'm piecing everything together. Even though he's supposedly the spear, his voice is in my head like he's living in it.

That's because, in your terms, I am living in it.

Woah! How did he do that!

Why did I get stuck with a clueless, mindless sorcerer like her?

Whilst thinking of a comeback for the insult he just threw at me (again), I heard a voice exclaim, "No way." I turned to see Ieiri holding two cold sodas and staring back and forth between me and the spear. I looked at the spear, then back to her shocked face.

"So, yeah, I was able to summon a cursed spirit. Sort of. That's new. He he." I rubbed the back of my head nervously, noticing how she wasn't saying anything.

"Uh, Ieiri_" Before I could say another word, she dropped both he drinks and sped over to me, standing in front of me protectivily.

"Amane, do you know what that is?!" She shouted, while using an arm to push me back.

"Uh, kind of. He said his name was Shuto. And, I guess I summoned him out of that room I saw back when Niko was giving me a tour. I remember explaining what they were." I told her what I knew. She glanced behind to look at me and I just gave her a confused look.

"That's not just a regular possessed cursed tool. Shuto was a very powerful frost curse. When he was defeated, the sorcerer that defeated him was power-hungry and imbued more than he should have of Shuto's energy into that spear. From what I remember in our lessons, It was so hard to control, that unlike the other possessed tools, Shuto's only been wielded by three sorcerers and they were his first master, his first master's son, and his first master's grandson. After that, no one could control his power or make him yield to them. So he was sealed away. How did you summon him?"

"I-I don't know. I just tried to picture the spear since my cursed energy kept forming a thin object. I wasn't even sure it was gonna work. I haven't even touched it yet." She looked from me to the spear.

"It's strange. It's almost like you're masking the spear's cursed energy with your own. That has to be the reason why I, nor any of the other's sense it. It's almost like you're protecting it." I looked at her, taking in her words. I knitted my brows together and looked at the spear.