Chapter 1: Cruelty

𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚝𝚑 𝚌𝚊𝚛𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊 𝚋𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚐𝚒𝚛𝚕?

"Orson," a lady called out to her son. The boy, Orson, was preparing to head down the mountain to sell coal to the village.

"Your face is all black. Come over here. Because it's risky when it snows, it's alright if you don't go," the lady said while wiping her son's face. It was near New Year, and Orson wanted to sell some coal so they could have a feast

"I'll only go sell a little bit,"

"... Thank you," The door opened from the inside, and a girl, similar to the boy in both age and appearance, spoke up.

"Brother! Are you going to the village today? Let me come too!" Before she could step out, her mother(the lady) scolded her.
" No. You are ill and are in no condition to go out with your brother."

"But I feel better now, I can -" Before she could finish, her mother cut her off.

"No, Ursa, you were vomiting 2 days ago, and just yesterday you were coughing and sneezing left and right. You are staying home with me and your siblings."

"I'll buy you candy while I'm out Ursa, so just stay home and rest okay," Orson said while trying to convince his twin sister to stay home. After some bargaining, he left saying goodbye to his sister and mother.

Life wasn't easy, but it was a blessing. But, concerning life, it is like looking at the sky. It changes and moves because there aren't times when it stays clear for a long time. There also aren't times when it snows for a long time. Thus times when happiness is broken, there is always the scent of blood.

" Well, if it isn't Orson," a woman commented. Orson was prominent in his town, along with his family. They were known for helping people, and for working hard, there is not one person who hasn't at least heard of them.

"You came down from the mountain on a day like this, good work, but you'll catch a cold like this."

"I want to buy some charcoal!"

"Thank you for fixing up my door for me!"

"I also want to buy some charcoal!" 

"AHHHHHHH ORSON I'M GLAD YOU'RE HERE. CAN YOU TELL WHO BROKE THESE DISHES? PLEASE SMELL THESE!" Being a hard worker isn't the only thing Orson is known for. Orson is also known for having a strong, sensitive nose; They say he can smell anything from 20 miles away, maybe more if he pushes. Orson leans forward and takes a sniff of the broken plate.

"It smells like a cat,"

"Eh, a cat?"

"SEE I TOLD YOU IT WASN'T ME!!!!!!!!!!!"

The sun was setting, and the vibrant hues of red, orange, pink, and purple were a stage that Orson would never forget. It was getting late, and Orson needed to get home before the sun was fully set.

"HEY ORSON, ARE YOU RETURNING TO THE MOUNTAIN?" A voice shouted out

"You can't continue. It's too dangerous!"

"O-oh, it's ok, My nose can smell anything. I'll be fine -"

"I'll let you stay the night, just come,"

"But..."

"ENOUGH! The demons will appear..." And with that, Orson went inside.

"Since long ago, human-eating demons come out to hunt at night, and because of that, it's a problem to walk around at night. You'll get eaten, it's beat if you sleep here, wake up early tomorrow and return home," Orson was tucked in his futon while listening to the old man. If you were to ask Orson if he believed in demons, he would say no. Orson has ventured out during the dark and it safe to say, he has never seen a demon."