Orphean Nightmares

Prompt: Early Night

TW: PTSD

Every lamp was burning in the King's chambers.

Digging through a trunk in the corner, Rilian pulled out two candelabras and set them on the table. He struck a match and lit the tapers, the smell of burning dust stinging his nostrils.

Must have been old candles.

He turned to the hearth, throwing another log on the fire. The log popped, embers flitting up the chimney. Rillian watched the flames dance, licking the new log, consuming it.

"Milord, are you alright?"

The king jumped, stumbling back a few steps. Lady Una stood in the doorway, her face flushing crimson.

"I'm sorry," she stuttered. "I didn't mean to frighten you—I—I knocked and you didn't answer. But Lord Cyprian was wondering where you were—"

"It's alright, Una," Rilian said. "You've done nothing wrong."

Una looked at the floor, biting her lip.

"Tell Cyprian that I've retired to my chambers for the night if he needs anything."

The girl's eyes widened in surprise. "But my lord. It's only five o'clock—"

"Una!" He snapped. His voice lowered. "I think you have been bold enough tonight."

Una bit her lip. "I'm sorry your Majesty." She bobbed in a curtsey. "It won't happen again." She shuffled out the door and pulled it shut behind her.

Rilian sighed and collapsed onto his sofa, turning his attention back to the flames.

Red flames. Red, orange, a little yellow. Soft glow, warm glow.

Not pale.

Not sickly.

Not green.

A chill crawled up his spine. He ran his hands through his strawberry waves, pulling at the roots, bobbing his knee. Groaning, he dropped his hands to his side before springing to his feet to pace.

There was a knock at the door. He stopped in his tracks.

"Who goes there?" He called, staring at the doorknob.

"Your First Knight, you imbecile—"

Rilian shook himself and opened the door. A younger version of the great Lord Drinian stood in the corridor, dark hair framing the face of a seafarer.

The young man's grin faded. "Are you alright, Ril?" Cyprian asked, taking in the countenance of his friend. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"I'm fine." Rilian retreated into the room. Cyprian followed. "Please, sit." The king gestured to the other side of the sofa, opposite of where he had seated himself. "What is it you need to talk to me about?"

The lord sat down. "Nothing, I just came to check on you."

"Well, nothing's wrong, so I guess you can leave anytime..." He glanced back at the hearth.

"Una seemed pretty shaken after coming to speak to you."

Rilian was staring at the fire.

"Ril?" Cyprian furrowed his brow. "Ril!"

Rilian startled, turning back to his friend.

"Did you hear any of that?"

He shook his head. "No, I'm sorry. What did you say?"