Bengaria's War - Chapter One

“Lower your weapon. Please, I beg you.” The russet-haired man blinked rapidly, bending his knees as if about to sprint away. “I’m just a humble commander with a floundering ship in need of repairs.” He eyed the tadra blade pointed at him. As he raised his arms in surrender, a stuffed teddy bear dropped from his grasp.

“Then what are you doing in my room?” Ryn Bengaria glanced at the fallen toy then narrowed her eyes at the man.

His large frame filled her small bedroom. Slightly disheveled in appearance, with messy auburn hair as if the wind had passed through it from behind, he looked roughly the same age as her father. Light creases fanned around blue eyes and a sprinkling of gray streaked his robust beard. He wore the Halantian military uniform. It had to be a disguise.

The man opened his mouth to speak then his face twisted into a sheepish grimace. “Well…I, ahh…”

“What’s the matter, thief? The truth stinging your tongue?”

“As I said,” he lowered his arms a fraction, “I’m a fleet commander, and my shuttle is in need of repairs—”

“Liar! No commander would enter another’s room without invitation. You’re a common thief. Now get out of my room before I lop your head off.” For effect, Ryn flicked her wrist, bringing the tip of her tadra blade closer to the man’s ruddy face. He jerked instinctively, and Ryn smiled with satisfaction.

“Listen. If you don’t believe me, look out your front window—you’ll see my shuttle. Just ask your—”

“Ryn Bengaria!” a man barked from the doorway to Ryn’s bedroom. “Put that blade down!”

“—father.” The red-haired man slumped his shoulders with obvious relief.

Sul Bengaria crossed the room in two quick strides, yanked down her wrist down and took a firm grip of her shoulder with his other hand. “Ryn.” He expelled a breath. “Do you know who this man is?”

“A thief.” Ryn jerked free and sent what she hoped was her darkest glower at the intruder.

Her favorite toy, Teddy, lay facedown on the floor looking defiled. How dare this man touch her Teddy! How dare he even think to steal from them? Common thieves trolled the area more often these days, spreading further into the farming counties than ever before, so it wasn’t surprising Jin County would be targeted, what with the plentiful fields of produce and merchant stores. But a stray thought brushed her mind. The man did look mildly familiar.

“Recoil that blade, Ryn,” her father scolded.

She reluctantly did as she was told and looked from her father to the intruder. A small scraping noise caught her attention. Yet another man, immaculately dressed, appeared in her doorway.

“What is going on here, Da?” Ryn demanded, her weapon arm ready to unfurl the blade. “Who are these people?”

“This is the king,” Sul hissed in his daughter’s ear.

“The—what? Impossible. He’s a…” Her voice trailed away as she studied the suspected thief. In a rapid scan, she studied the man again.

Horrors!

Seeing her recognition, King Greycer twitched up his brows and grinned. He raised a large hand to prevent Ryn from lowering her head in immediate respect. “My shuttle, it hit a bird, you see. It got lodged in the thruster. Amis,” the king tipped his head to the man in the doorway, “did say the scenic route would get us into trouble.”

Amis made as if to speak but, instead, let out a groan.

Shame heated her face. How could she have accused the king of being a thief? Why had she not recognized the man? Was she so stupid it had rendered her blind? With eyes averted, Ryn muttered an apology, which earned her a chuckle from the king.