32: Three Knives in the Back

One week had passed since Dawn's arrival in Zyire, and every day she grew more and more restless about what she had left behind. While she kept herself busy by reading about her new home, she still had begun to make a list of everything she had discovered about her mutual enemy with Syrena so far.

Syrena, who had her duties of Commander to fulfil, was oftentimes formulating and reviewing over Protector schedules at her desk or away to instruct. Dawn helped out with the majority of the paperwork, a skewed form of payment for Syrena's continuous generosity in allowing the girl to stay in her room. Dawn knew that eventually she would need to choose one for herself but, for now, she enjoyed having what little company she could afford. It also felt peculiar living off of someone else's coin. Back in Kings Grave, Dawn was the main provider for her family and had no qualms about using her money for the good of Rose and Freya. However, now that she was being looked after in the same way, she almost felt useless.

A knock at the door brought her out of her focus, and Leixa strode into the room without permission to enter. Something told her that this was not the first time the Monstra had done this. "A gift from Zyire to you. Well, more specifically, Syrena."

Dawn looked up from her book, watching the Second drop a horrifically large stack onto Syrena's desk. "More paperwork?"

"Yes."

"Be thankful Syrena is away then, she would have thrown that stack at your head." Dawn rolled her eyes, remembering the Commander's huffy attitude that morning when she had been forced by her to sign what documents she could not. "I don't know why she is still so adverse to it now considering I'm the one completing it for her."

Leixa, who had caught onto the first half of Dawn's complaint, looked positively mischievous. "You are coming with me."

"Your tone implies I do not have a choice on the matter."

"No, you don't."

"Very well, where are we going?"

"How would you feel about watching Syrena instruct a lesson?" Leixa said with a grin, knowing the human would not say no. "You would most certainly be able to gather more metaphorical ammunition to use against her."

"I like you more and more every day, Leixa." Dawn snapped the book shut, pulling on her boots with such swiftness that only came from when you were about to do something you shouldn't. "Lead the way."

Dawn had not been to the part of the kingdom where Leixa brought her to. Near the housing for the trainees, a generously sized field lay close to the track. The Second motioned for her to be quiet as they crept closer to the training grounds, secretly leaning against the wall as Dawn took in the sight before her.

Syrena had her back to them, too focused on instructing the Protector trainees in the art of sword fighting. The class looked to be quite young, certainly in their early teens, and had not yet been subject to the hardships of life. Dawn had also never seen Syrena wield a sword before and yet it looked as natural to the Monstra as when she was with her spear.

"Again!" She commanded, closely watching the Monstra before her and singling them out when one made a mistake. She sounded fierce and unwavering, using a tone that she seemed to reserve only for those under her instruction. Dawn didn't fancy the thought of Syrena using that tone with her.

Their presence didn't go unnoticed for too long and, soon enough, Syrena turned around with an eyebrow raised.

"It's the human!" A trainee called out, also noting the two extra people who had joined them on the grounds. "The really fast one!"

A Monstra slapped their classmate over the head. "Do you know any other humans? She has a name."

"Silence!" The Commander's tone hushed the class immediately. "I will not allow for distraction within my class. You are to focus on your lesson and not be distracted by slight changes, or you are not fit to hold the title of Protector. Have I made myself clear?"