1 ~ Familial Ties

I grew up in an adoptive family. And when my mother's sister passed mysteriously, Aggie sent her lawyer to me. Why? Well. Because I'd inherited the Sapphire Lotus. Sapphire Lotus is her restaurant, one that sells all sorts of foods and drinks.

So now, as I stand before the blue-painted restaurant, I smile. It is a beautiful building. The sign hanging over the white door depicts that of a blue lotus flower, with a pale green background. The front of the establishment is painted sapphire blue, and the windows are painted with tiny lotuses and vines.

A small smile crosses my face, and I turn to look at Darius Riddle. He claims to have been Aggie's friend, and despite the fact that I don't know him, he offered to guide me. Especially since I, having just turned twenty-four, have no idea what I'm doing here.

Darius wears a bandanna that's green over his buzz-cut brown hair, his dark skin shining with sweat in the late summer heat. Those kind, hazel eyes of his land on me. He grins. His smile is always one to make you feel at ease.

I may have met him last week, but I like the man. Darius is thirty-two, and very tall. As we walk up to the door, he must duck to enter so as to not hit his head. We walk into the big building together.

The floor is spotless linoleum, and the walls are painted pale pink, with hand-painted flowers and vines all over the pink surface. The ceiling is painted like the blue sky with white, fluffy clouds. I smile as we walk by the booths, tables, and chairs that customers can sit in.

As I walk into the back, I see the kitchen is fully stocked. I turn to Darius.

"So, do I have to hire help? Like, I have no idea what I'm doing here!" I say.

He shakes his head. "No, Aggie took care of you, Wren. There are plenty of people working here who can help you out. They'll be here soon."

I nod slowly. "So, uh, what do we do till then? What would Aggie be doing?"

"Just helping out where she could," says Darius.

There's a jingle of the bell on the door, and we both turn. Three people walk in. Darius walks over and waves to the first one. She is tall, almost as tall as Darius, and she has pale skin dusted with red, pink, and gold makeup. Her black hair flows in waves around the middle of her back, and her equally black eyes are lined with dark makeup, giving me the impression of wings on her eyeliner.

"Scarth Delacroix, meet Wren Killoran. Aggie's niece."

Scarth nods, smiling a closed-lipped smile. "Nice to meet you. I'm the waitress."

"Oh, nice to meet you too!" I say.

"The waitress? Please," scoffs the woman beside Scarth. She had tan skin with auburn hair and blue-gray eyes that pierce my very soul. "I'm Annika, it's so nice to meet Aggie's kin! She's.... she was the sweetest soul."

Finally, Darius clears his throat and gestures to the last but not least person. The man is pale with equally pale blond hair and hazel eyes that appear dark as Scarth's hair, compared to his paleness. He is tall and skinny, but shorter than Darius and only a little taller than Scarth.

"Hi, I'm Torin," he says.

"Torin is the cook, as am I," says Darius. He turns back to me. "So, Wren, do you think you are ready to get this started? The Sapphire Lotus may have been out of business for a few months, but I'm sure that the customers, who are very loyal, will come. So, let's go do this."

Scarth smiles again, not opening her mouth fully as she does. Maybe she has braces or something. I don't know, but I find it a bit weird.

"I'm ready," I say. "What do I do?"