9 ~ A New Friend

In the next couple weeks, we get my stuff moved from my old apartment to the one Scarth and Annika have. In that time, I also get settled in and such.

Annika and Scarth are amazing roommates. I just feel so, woefully unequipped to deal with their powers. I feel alone. Even though I know I am not. I am not alone, but ... it's hard to not feel like I am when things like this are happening.

Scarth, Annika, and I ride carpool to work.

When we arrive at the Sapphire Lotus, Darius meets us. A woman is beside him, and she has big, feathery wings which are black tinted with red. Her hair matches her feathers, and her purple-blue eyes seem to know everything within my heart already. Her tan skin is flawless, but for a scar on her throat.

"Wren, Scarth, and Annika, welcome Valkyrie."

Valkyrie smiles at us.  "It is nice to meet you." Her voice is deep, and melodic and carries a heavy accent. She shakes Scarth's outstretched hand.

"I am pleased to see you," says Annika.  "But why are you here, if you don't mind me asking?"

Valkyrie nods. "Yes, well, I am here because you need assistance with things. Not just the restaurant, though, as I understand."

"What did you tell her? About what Magnus and the others are after?" Annika asks.

Darius opens his mouth, but Valkyrie speaks.  "I know that Rainor and Magnus and their friends are after your mortal friend here. Torin and I will help you with this, of course. But first, we need some help. More than what just Torin and I can offer you."

"What do we need?" I ask.

"The blood of a demon, given willingly. And the tears of an angel," says Valkyrie.

"Well. I don't know any angels, or demons who'd willingly give up their blood," says Scarth.

"That's what Torin is up to right now," Darius explains. "He is currently looking for some of his demonic contacts. However, it is up to us to find an angel."

"I thought angels were rare?" I ask.

"Exceedingly so," Darius replies, nodding.

"So, how are we getting one to cry?"

"That's something I'm going to figure out," Valkyrie answers. She turns to Annika.  "Do you happen to know where any of the angelic hideouts are?"

"Me? No. Why would I know?" Annika asks.

Valkyrie shrugs.  "Just curious." She vanishes into a swirl of purple smoke.

I turn to Darius then. "Where did you find her?"

"Valkyrie is an old friend of my Clan," he says. "She is a warlock, like Annika, but she has some strange blood in her. Divine blood, that's what gives her her wings."

"That's what I could sense," Scarth says, nodding slowly.  "That makes sense."

Darius turns and heads to the counter. He picks up his cell phone thats been laying there, and texts someone.

"So ... are we opening up shop? Or...?"

Darius shakes his head.  "No, we aren't going to open the shop today. Because we need to do this, first. Your very life depends on this."

"What are we doing? I thought I was fixed after Annika's ritual," I say.

"No, not fully fixed yet," Annika says.  "The tattoo of the death omen is indeed gone, so that immediate danger is gone. But Magnus, Rainor, and their allies, are still after you. You must not remain alone. For even if you're alone for a moment's time, they'll seize that opportunity to hurt you."

"So ... what now?"

"Now," Darius says, clearing his throat. "Now, we must find the people who will help us save your life."