Chapter 9

Dappleberry's paws quivered with each step. Mice scattered away as they heard his heavy heartbeats echo through the forest. His eyes were closed as he followed Pinktail's trail. Fear kept his paws moving forward.

There were no thoughts as he caught the sound of pawsteps other than his own. Blinking, he saw the white and pale ginger she-cat a couple of fox-lengths in front of him. Dappleberry crouched low, almost too terrified to track her any closer. His breath grew silent, his ears fold back. 

"Pinktail, you received excellent training from Flintglade and Buttercreek. I trust you will pass on all you know to this apprentice."

Dappleberry could hear the words Tornstar had spoken at his second apprentice ceremony almost as vividly as if he were speaking them now. An invisible force tapped Dappleberry's nose, as sweet and gently as Pinktail had all those moons ago when she first started training him. He flinched, and took a step back.

A crackle echoed through the forest as Dappleberry crushed a small dry leaf beneath his back paw. He let out a small gasp as Pinktail's ear flicked, and she turned her head towards the sound, towards him.

Dappleberry shut his eyes tightly as he raced out of the bushes towards his former mentor, his claws outstretched. Blindly, he crashed into her, and did his best to ignore her screams of terror and confusion as he sliced his claws through her pelt. Shivers ran down his back as his whiskers brushed against Pinktail's fur. He bit down hard into her pelt, tasting blood on his tongue.  

Eventually, her screams subsided, she stopped fighting back and went limp. Dappleberry dropped the she-cat's body on the ground. He blinked his eyes for only a moment, catching meer glimpses of her blood splattered figure, before twisting his head away, hissing in regret, daring not to look at her anymore.

---

His pelt was still wet with river water as Dappleberry walked back into camp. His shadow loomed over his sister as he entered the medicine cat den. Chirpsong's whiskers twitched, seeming to sense his presence, before the she-cat blinked her eyes and gazed up at her brother. Dappleberry's eyes held sorrow, so he turned away, tring to hide it.

"Dappleberry," Chirpsong whispered, "where's Pinktail?"

Dappleberry fidgeted his paws, refusing to answer. Chirpsong asked the question once more. The black and brown tortoiseshell tom hesitated, taking a deep breath before he spoke up.

"I don't want to hurt anyone else."

Chirpsong's ears folded back, her eyes widened with fear. "What do you mean? Dappleberry, what's going on? Where is Pinktail?"

"Bloodheart told me that I had to wait for a moment where I could ask to meet with Daisystar alone. I- I think now is the only chance I'll get."

"What are you talking about?" Chirpsong hissed as she stood in her nest. "Why aren't you answering me? Dappleberry!"

"I've caused so much pain and death, Tulippaw, Pinktail. Daisystar is going to be the last, I promise."

"P- Pinktail? What did you do to her?"

Dappleberry flinched and closed his eyes at Chirpsong's outburst. "I just want to take this whole part of my life and put it behind me and start anew. Daisystar's death is the only way I can do that." He turned back towards his sister, sorrow glimmering in his eyes. "You're the last one who knows the truth about everything I've done. I'm not asking you to forgive me, I don't deserve to be forgiven. But at the very least can we move on and forget that any of this ever happened?"

Chirpsong remained silent, staring at her brother with indescribable emotions. After a moment of shock, she lowered her head, giving the slightest nod. Dappleberry smiled at her before turning and leaving the den and camp.

---

"Daisystar," Brookbranch said as he led Dappleberry into the leader's den. "Dappleberry is here. He says he needs to speak with you."

The golden leader turned towards the two medicine cats. Her eyes shone with concern as she spotted the grief in Dappleberry's eyes.

"If you don't mind," Dappleberry said, his head hung low, "I want to talk to her alone."

Brookbranch nodded and left the den quickly. Dappleberry watched his friend leave, his ears folded back.

"What's the matter?" Daisystar asked.

Dappleberry could barely look towards the Bushclan leader as he spoke. "My- Pinktail was found dead near the border between Treeclan and Bushclan. She seems to have been attacked and killed by some cat. I just want to know if you or your warriors know anything."

Daisystar's eyes widened with shock. "I heard nothing about this from the patrols this morning, but I can ask the clan. I'll let you know if I find anything."

"Could we meet up again tonight at the Moon-roots so you can let me know if you hear anything?" Dappleberry's voice was desperate with grief.

Daisystar smiled as she nodded at him. "You must have been very close to your mentor. This must be very hard on you. I promise I'll do all I can to help."

Dappleberry sighed with a nod. "Thank you," he breathed.

The plan is set. He silently thought to himself as he left Bushclan camp. Bloodheart, your sister will be dead by the time the sun sets tonight.