Dear Prudence

My vision blurred, and tears began to flow thick down my face. This could all be a dream, but it feels so real. Have I truly travelled back in time? That's not even possible. I ran my fingers through my hair, feeling the weight of the heavy, bunched-up curls. I didn't feel like myself, and I looked like a different person.

"Are you alright, miss?" The newsagent asked me.

I nodded, although my eyes began to well with tears again. He patted my shoulder before walking away to attend to other customers. I was in disbelief.

"Can you hold this bag for..." Discomfort washed across my mother's face, as she began to whisper. "Whatever is the matter with you!? You are embarrassing me; stop crying right now!"

"Who even are you?" I spat.

Her eyes darkened, and the sudden open palm connecting with my cheek made me stagger back in surprise. I clutched my burning face, my eyes stinging with fresh tears. The lump in my throat intensified and I stumbled even further, my hands hitting the cold wall behind me.

My footsteps slapping the hard pavement was the only sound I could hear apart from my mother's voice bellowing behind me. My chest heaved and my legs ached. I really was not fit enough for this. I continued to run, however, desperate to get away and find solace in this unknown city.

I came to a sudden halt, panting. Sweat was beading up on my brow. Great. Through the haze in my mind, I could hear clumsy rock music escaping from a church garden. I wiped my forehead with the back of my hand and walked through the gate. It was difficult to imagine a less rock-and-roll setting than a small church hall stage, but there they stood. Singing and playing instruments in a manner that, I am sure, was frowned upon in 1957. The stage was clearly dominated by a 16- or 17-year-old boy dressed in a chequered red-and-white shirt and black drainpipe jeans. He seemed strangely familiar, but I had no idea where I had seen this boy before.

A girl was stood, engrossed in the performance - she was my target. Timidly, I approached her. "Do you know who that boy is?" I pointed up to the stage. "The one in the middle."

She laughed, pushing her head back as if what I had just said was the funniest thing she had ever heard! "Why, that's John Lennon, of course!"

Holy shit. One of my greatest idols was standing directly in front of me, and I didn't even notice. That is John Lennon. THE John Lennon. Music mastermind and co-founder of The Beatles. I stood, staring at the ground in front of me, eyes widened.

"Are you alright?" The girl asks me, breaking me out of my revelation.

"Yes. I am fine. Thank you." I reassured her. She stared at me for a moment, trying to figure me out. "Erm, what's your name?" I questioned, trying to fill the awkward air.

"Carol. What about you?"

"Martha."

Again, Carol stared at me. I ignored her this time, focusing on the performance in front of me. I really was star-struck, but, can you blame me? I was lost in the music, watching him perform. His head suddenly turned in my direction, his eyes locking with mine. Shock filled my face , and I am sure my cheeks were beginning to burn up. He chuckled and winked at me. On the inside, I was screaming - exactly like a Beatlemaniac, but I kept my composure. Or so I thought. I was later told that I was grinning at my shoes, my face turning an even darker shade of pink.