Kefi - Two

It was common to find Shanks pulling Luffy into an embrace, yet it warmed Luffy's heart just the same. It was these moments of comfort that aided in steadying the boy's heart—to him, loneliness was like a damning curse, and somehow, someway, Shanks recognized that. If only, enough so, that he let Luffy seek out his kind touch—offering minuscule gestures of affection, ever so often, only to remind Luffy that he was here.

It'd been several months since Luffy met Shanks and consequently discovered that he was Shanks' soulmate. Although during that period, it had only been a mix of visits, with varying lengths of time—Luffy cherished each moment, just the same. It was rare to have someone's undivided attention—least of all, someone who willingly placed themselves in the position of a parental figure—and he savoured it. Makino loved Luffy with her entire heart—this he never doubted—but she refused the notion of being Luffy's mother, whenever he used to bring it up. It was never meant unkindly. But she was young, and much like him, still growing and experiencing life for the first time. Makino was not ready to be a mother, but she still promised Luffy that he was her world just the same—and Luffy accepted that.

But Shanks was different in that regard—he didn't mind the kid that trailed behind him, didn't mind that Luffy willingly referred to him as a father in the dead of the night, when he was half asleep—didn't blink at the boy who would come running to him as soon as he disembarked from the Red Force—his sailing vessel.

Like the action itself was ingrained in him, he picked up Luffy and threw him into the air, catching him. Those were some of Luffy's favourite moments. Seeing the Red Force on the horizon, and knowing his favourite Pirate Captain would be settling on Foosha Village's shores, once more.

"How was your trip this time?" Luffy giggled happily, snuggling close to Shanks. His head rested contentedly where his shoulder met his neck. The smell of salty sea encompassed the red-haired man, and Luffy inhaled it in—it was so different from the stench of the waters at their shores, for whatever reason.

Behind Luffy, trailing at a more leisurely pace, Makino smiled over at the Red-Haired Pirates, in greeting. "Welcome back." Her voice was like silk to Luffy's ears.

The red-haired man greeted Makino with a broad grin, and if Makino hadn't been sure who Luffy's father was—she might've mistaken him for Luffy's biological father, with how similar their grins were. "Thanks, Makino. Happy to see you're doing well?" It was phrased more like a question. She nodded, her gaze settling on the back of the boy she cared for. Shanks' eyes followed too, and mysteriously, his smile deepened. "Luffy!"

"Shanks!" Luffy called, just as delighted. If nothing else, the two would be practically inseparable now that they had each other in their sights again—it was almost adorable—if one were an outsider. But to Shanks' crew, they knew all too well of how much they would be seeing of Luffy for the couple weeks that they docked at Dawn Island.

"My trip was great—my crew and I stopped by Lougetown, on some business. It went as well as it could've!" The words washed over Luffy, most of which, flew over his head. He wasn't even aware Lougetown existed.

"Any cool stories to tell from there?"

"None that would interest you, I'm afraid. Unless you like stories of old friends catching up?" Shanks teased, as he followed his crew and Makino to Party's bar—the only bar in Foosha Village. The town was quaint, for being located on an island with a grand city such as High Town not far from it. Most buildings were often a little run down, but Shanks found it gave the village character rather than making it look mangy. Regardless, it wasn't the architecture that he visited the village of windmills for.

"Shishishi! Nope! Tell me a story about the time you fought a giant goldfish!" Luffy requested, but there was no hiding the fact it was more like an order, and unfortunately for everyone at the bar tonight, Shanks was weak to his son's command.