"𝐈'𝐦 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐏𝐮𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐲𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐭"

Deja's POV - 1997

We drove down the rode and as I looked out the window, I realized that this city wasn't wasn't like Queens. They had more traffic whereas Detroit had more run down buildings.

It's not like I moved from the suburbs or anything so I'm not complaining. It's just that it sucks that I had to leave behind my life to come all the way over here.

Especially since I could've possibly been discovered out in New York with my singing. It was already hard enough having to be in the streets and subways singing to get people's attention but there ain't no way I can get discovered out here. Nobody big is gonna be out in Detroit like they be in New York.

It's really irritating if I think about so it I'm gonna just not think on it cause there's no reason to get mad now. We already moved and what's done is done. I'll just have to keep trying until I actually make it.

We pull into the driveway and I see that the house isn't that big. Again, not complaining. The house I stayed in back in Queens wasn't a prize either so it don't matter to me.

I get out the car to go to the trunk to help my dad get everything out of the car.

"Are you okay?" He asked me. "I'm good, I just wish this wasn't so sudden. I barely had a chance to say bye to my friends." I told him carrying the stuff in the house as he followed behind me.

"I know this isn't the ideal situation you wanted to be in especially since you been wanting to get seen as a singer but look, you can still be discovered. Just keep doing what you do. It'll happen in no time." He said and kissed me on the cheek and walked away.

Maybe he's right. It's gotta be a way I can be discovered. Until then, imma just be patient.

I walked to the bedroom that wasn't my parents' and sat my stuff down. The house wasn't that bad. It was small but suitable for us since it was a 3 bedroom and 2 bathroom house, there was 5 of us. My parents , brother and my sister and while my sister and I share a room , my brother has his own.

I walk around the house checking it out. It's actually nice out here. I preferred small areas anyways. Plus theres less traffic and no busy streets around so you can walk without getting easily pickpocketed and don't have to deal with rude ass people early in the morning.

"Mom, I'm going to the store." I informed my mother. She nodded and went back to unpacking boxes.

I left out the house and walked to the 7/11 down the street that I saw when we were driving by. I walked in and greet the store clerk and go to the back looking for snacks. I pick up a Milky Way, a bag of barbecue chips and a coke. After I'm done, I go up the register and pay for my things.

I walk out the store and was about to go back home but I ended up seeing a record store. I never did get to buy Tina Turner's last album, might as well do it now since I'm here. I walked in and heard "Get Me Home" by Foxy Brown.

Onika would love this right now.

I go over to the soul section and look through it for Tina Turner's album.

As I'm looking through the stacks of records, someone comes up next to me. I don't look since I really don't care, they pick up a 2pac album from the hip-hop section next to me and look at it.

I look over at him and see that he's a white boy thats taller than me with a hat on wearing baggy clothes. If him coming in here picking up a 2pac album didn't scream "hip-hop" then his clothes did it for him.

I'm not gonna lie, he was very cute.

I see him turn towards me but I hurriedly turned back around pretending like I wasn't just staring him down. I guess I was staring too long.

"What ? Why you looking at me like that ?" He questioned.

Shit !

"Oh , nothing. I was just looking at the record you picked up" I lied but he ain't need to know that. He smacked his teeth, "Yo, why you lying ? I seen you staring at me."

"Alright, So I was. It's not like I was thinking anything bad or nothin."

"Yeah, ight" , He said and turned to look at the record again. I did the same thing and picked up the Tina Turner record I was looking for and went to the cash register, payed for it and walked back home.

As I walked in the door, I realized that my mom was done packing for the day so there was boxes every damn where so I had to walk over them to get to my room. I say my stuff down on my dresser and got undressed to get into my pajamas.

Tomorrow I would have to look for a job. I can't live with my parents forever. I want to but I can't. I unfortunately am not financially stable so I live with my parents until I can make ends meet. That was the reason we moved out here the first place, because New York is an expensive place to live. They were barely paying the mortgage because it was so high.

That's the whole reason we moved out here. Atleast you won't have to pay $1000 a month for rent.

-

-

-

-

I dreaded waking up this morning. Especially knowing that I would have to get up and go search for a job that probably won't even pay me that much.

But I had no choice but to get up to go take a shower and put on my clothes for the day and doing my hair last. I grabbed my purse and left the house. It's truly unfortunate that I don't have a car. I really don't wanna take the bus. The subway was already weird enough.

Walking down the road, I stopped at the bus station where other people were also waiting.

-

-

-

-

The fourth fucking job that's not hiring !

What the hell am I supposed to do ?? I can't rely on my parents for long.

I could do what I used to do on the subway and sing to get money but that's like tip money and I'd use that as a last resort. I need to find a job that has good pay. That's why I'm walking into a fast food restaurant right now even though I hate working in fast food with a fucking passion. Rude ass customers that don't know how to be patient and think the workers are just their punching bags just because they had a bad day.

Yeah, I change my damn mind. I'm not putting myself through that shit. I don't care how bad I need a job, there's no way that I will do that again.

Singing for money it is.

——————

I'm back chile. Btw, I'm taking down the other Eminem story to revise it because i hate it. 🧍🏾‍♀️

I was also projecting my hate for working in fast food in this btw cause ew.

I'll see y'all in the next chapter tho. 😗

 😗