PROLOGUE

XANDER

Walking out of school has never felt better. It's over. High school is over. I'm gonna start college and leave this fucked up town once and for all.

I walked over to my car in the parking lot happily and just as I was about to open the door, I felt something cold run down my back. I turned around to see Noah Hawthorne and his stupid friends laughing. He was holding a crushed soda can with a sly grin on his face. I internally cursed and wiped some of the soda off my hair and neck with the back of my hand. I walked over to that son of a bitch and grabbed him by his collar and pressed him against the art department's wall.

"What the fuck is wrong with you,'' I asked angrily, pushing him more up against the wall. High school is over now. He can put our fucking differences aside and finally learn to leave me alone.

Once upon a time you see, we were friends. Best friends since first grade actually. We were the brothers neither of us had. Every up and down in his life, I was there. That was until summer of 8th grade when his parents got divorced and his mom and sister moved to another state. He came into school and when I asked him if he was okay, he punched me across the face and told me 'he doesn't speak to pussies no more'.

Since then he took every opportunity to remind me of that.

"What, is Princess Alexia angry?" He asked mockingly whilst goons laughed after him. I moved my face closer to his,

"I asked what the fuck is wrong with you? Leave me alone you bastard, "

I shoved him against the wall one more time for good measure and when I turned to walk away, someone tapped my shoulder and next thing I know I'm on the floor with Noah on top of me punching the shit out of me. I let him take a few hits before I flipped our bodies around and put my hands around his neck and squeezed hard.

"NOAH!"I heard someone screaming. I looked up from Noah's purple face to see that a crowd had formed between us and saw a small girl pushing her way through.

"NOAH!" She shouted again, sounding more panicked this time.

I was in a trance. It was as if everything stopped around me.

She was the most stunning girl I had ever seen. I watched as the sunlight reflected off her wavy brown hair and the way her hips swayed as she walked towards me. I focused on how she bit her plump pink lips as she hurried towards me. I pulled away from Noah and spread my arms open waiting for her to jump into my arms.

She finally came up to me and I closed my eyes and inhaled her brief sweet floral smell, awaiting my kiss.

SMACK

"Don't ever touch my brother again, asshole!"

Brother? I opened my eyes and looked in her angry eyes,ignoring the stinging on my cheek, the same emerald green shade as Noah's.

"Summer?" I felt the words tumble out my mouth.

This wasn't possible, the Summer that left with her mother four years ago was shy and scrawny. I took a closer look and recognised the same freckles and small nose, wiping away the blood on my chin.

Summer gave me a disappointed look and shook her head before she walked up to her brother to help him up. I stayed on my knees and watched her help Noah up and help him out of the parking lot.

I felt a smile slowly form on my face. This summer was about to get a whole lot better...