Chapter One

Rachel was driving home after a long day at Waterloo Road. She had, had enough and was desperate to get home, to her sanctuary, where Eddie was waiting for her. As long as she was somewhere Max Tyler wasn't, she didn't care.

The pain in her back, wrist, head and ribs ripped through her as she drove along. She fought hard to stop her vision from blurring, desperately trying to focus on the road in front of her. There would be an accident if she wasn't careful.

Even though she was escaping, she wasn't sure if she wanted to go back to Waterloo Road in the morning and face Max again after what had happened today. She didn't think she could face it. She bit her lip hard to stop the tears from falling as she replayed the events in her head.

Of course, she and Max had never seen eye to eye. From the moment they'd first met and started working together 6 months ago, there had been negative tension between them, a relentless battle for control and power. Max didn't like her; he'd made that very clear from day one. Rachel had thought it would die down eventually, but it had only got worse.

Especially today

Max was headstrong and stubborn. She had liked that about him at first, until it turned into arrogant and controlling behaviour. He left her out of meetings and important decisions about the school. He attempted, and failed, to handle student behaviour before she could even get the chance. And when it went wrong and blew up in his face, she got the blame. He belittled her within an inch of her life.

Within weeks of him arriving, her office was no longer her own, Max occupied it constantly, sitting at her desk like he owned the place. She never got a moments peace with him breathing down her neck.

Rachel wasn't one to be intimidated by anyone. She was more than able to fight her own battles and stand up for herself. But with Max, it was different somehow. He made her feel small, he bullied her. She was intimidated by him and his behaviour. She'd worked with some challenging colleagues in her time, but none like Max Tyler.