Chapter Five

When they pulled into the driveway, they saw another car parked beside Rachel's. Eddie recognised it and groaned. It was Kim's. She was the last person he wanted to see, other than Max Tyler of course.

Rachel had seen Kim's car too, but hadn't reacted like Eddie had. She didn't really care that she was here. She didn't want to talk to her and planned to walk straight passed her. Of course none of what had happened today was Kim's fault, but Rachel just couldn't deal with her right now, especially if she was going to try and defend Max's actions. She had a feeling that Kim had confronted him after finding her bruised with a bloody nose, and he had spun some lie to twist the story to, once again, make her look like the bad guy.

Eddie helped Rachel out of the car, guiding her over to the front door. They heard Kim's car door open and close, her footsteps walking over in their direction.

"Rachel! Rachel, are you ok?" she asked as she appeared in front of them

Rachel sighed; she couldn't deal with this right now.

"Does she look ok to you, Kim?" Eddie snapped angrily

Rachel put a hand on Eddie's arm in an attempt to calm him down. It seemed to make no difference though.

Kim looked at Rachel's bruised and blood stained face, noticing the cast covering her wrist and arm. She immediately felt the guilt creeping back in. The look Rachel had on her face was one Kim hadn't seen before. It was a look of defeat and deep sadness, and it unsettled her. Max had gone too far, because of her.

Eddie's eyes were filled with anger and were drilling into her. She owed him an apology, just as much as she did Rachel. There was no doubt in Kim's mind that Rachel had told Eddie how their friendship had fallen apart over the last few months because of Max, how she'd hurt Rachel over and over again.

"Look, Eddie, I know you're angry with me, I totally get that," she started

Eddie scoffed

"Angry with you?! No Kim, I'm furious! Where the hell were you when Max was assaulting Rachel? Why the hell didn't you stop him?!"

"I didn't know he was going to do that anymore than you did, Eddie!" she argued

"Oh, so that makes it ok then does it?" he retorted

"Eddie, please" Rachel whispered, begging him to stop, her head was pounding

"Of course it doesn't make it ok! All I wanted to do is say I'm sorry. I've made some awful mistakes"

Her gaze moved to Rachel now

"I'm sorry Rachel, I really am" she added

Rachel's eyes filled with tears. Kim was her friend and she cared about her deeply, none of this was her fault. But she didn't know if they would come back from this.

"I think you should go, Kim" Rachel mumbled tearfully

Kim stared at her painfully. She wasn't expecting Rachel to accept her apology, how she'd treated her the last few months was unforgiveable. But she hadn't been expecting that.

Even so, she respected her wishes, turning to walk away.

"And give your boyfriend my regards" Eddie snarled at her

Kim walked away, fighting back the tears as she got into her car and drove away.

"Eddie you shouldn't have said that. This isn't her fault" Rachel scolded

"I'm sorry, Rach. But she's involved with him and that's enough for me" he replied firmly

Rachel sighed. Her whole body was aching, desperate for rest.

Eddie unlocked the door, letting Rachel inside before following her, closing the door behind them.

He went with her into the living room, watching as she practically melted into the sofa, closing her eyes in relief.

"Can I get you anything?" he asked from the doorway

Rachel shook her head

Eddie sat down next to her, watching as she stared blankly at the ceiling, blocking him out completely. He had to know what was going through her mind, how she was feeling.

"Rach?" Eddie whispered, placing a hand on her knee to get her attention

"Hmm" she responded simply, her gaze remaining glued to the ceiling

"Tell me how you're feeling" he requested softly

That was all it took for Rachel to burst into tears again. Eddie pulled her into his arms as she sobbed, rubbing her back with one hand in an attempt to comfort her.

"I can't go back Eddie, I can't go back to Waterloo Road. It's- it's too much" she blurted

"I know love, I know. You have a week before you have to go back though, that'll give you time to gather your thoughts and get better" Eddie reassured

Rachel shook her head; he didn't understand what she was saying.

"No, Eddie. I'm resigning" she sighed

Eddie stared at her for a moment, contemplating what that meant.

"Rachel, you can't. That school needs you, especially with that lunatic running around the place" Eddie reasoned

"That's why I'm leaving. Eddie, I'm lucky I only got out of what he put my through today with a broken wrist and a concussion. What if I'm not so lucky next time? What then? I can't- I can't do it anymore Eddie, it's too much. I'm so desperately unhappy there. He won't do anything stupid, not with Kim keeping him in check. It's me he has a problem with, so if I go, that'll be the end of it"

"Do you seriously believe that?" Eddie questioned

"No, but I have to Eddie. I can't work there anymore; you need to let me do this. I don't care if he's won" she shrugged

Eddie nodded hesitantly

"If that's what you want Rach, I'll support you. But what are you going to do instead?"

She shrugged. The last three years, she had put her heart and soul into Waterloo Road. Now, she had nothing, she didn't know what was next for her career-wise. And, if she was honest, she liked it that way. And besides, it wasn't like she would have nothing to do. In five months time, she would have her hands full with something she had never done before. She just hadn't told Eddie yet.

"Eddie, I need to tell you something" she announced, sitting up carefully

Eddie stared at her nervously, urging her to continue.

"I'm pregnant"

Eddie's face lit up with the biggest smile.

"Are you serious?" he checked

She nodded, a smile spreading across her face

"I took a pregnancy test a few weeks ago. I'm four months pregnant" she explained

"Oh, Rach! I'm so happy!" he grinned, catching her lips with his own

Rachel smiled, sighing in relief. He was just as happy about this as she was. They were going to be parents!

"So, I think for now, I want to take some time off work. When I've finished maternity leave, I'll look for another job. But for now, I just want to prepare for this baby"

Eddie nodded

"I'm with you, Rach. All the way" he promised

She leaned in, kissing him passionately. It felt so perfect. Leaving Waterloo Road wasn't an easy decision, but it was the right one for her. Right now, all she needed was Eddie, and their baby. A new chapter was around the corner, one she had been waiting such a long a time for. She was going to be a Mum. Finally.

The end