Keeper Of The Lost Cities: Alden Theory

I love KotLC and was recently rereading it when I thought of something...I think Alden is part of the Neverseen!

  First of all, Alden meddles in Keefe's personal business, and tells him to stay away from Sophie and to let her and Fitz be happy. But, what if this was to ensure that Keefe doesn't get too close with Sophie, and so that she only trusts Fitz? This would mean that whenever she gets information from the Black Swan, Fitz would be the first person she'd tell. Alden, being a telepath, would be able to fish those secrets out of Fitz's mind and give it to the Neverseen!

  More over, Alden is one of the highest ranked emissaries and is also trusted greatly by the councillors, meaning he has been granted access to restricted files. He would also be able to spy on Sophie and her friends, and, being the skilled telepath he is, would be able to probe their minds secretly. This explains how the Neverseen are always a step ahead.

  Although in Neverseen, Della joins the Black Swan instead of Alden. However, the Neverseen's all about careful calculations, and must have realised that Alden's job as an emissary would be more useful for information on the gnomish plague, their task at hand. In Neverseen, Grady and Alden are the only ones who saw Sophie and the rest of the BlackSwan members get into disguise before they went to the speech, and what a big surprise, the Neverseen sabotaged that occasion.

  Also, wouldn't it just make more sense for someone else close to Alvar to be part of the Neverseen so that they could cover for him? Alden would have been perfect for the job! There was something eerily calm around Alden's expression when he finds out about Akbar's betrayal. He doesn't rage-fest like Fitz, or sob like Biana. He even urged Della to leave quickly, almost as if he couldn't keep up the facade any longer.

  It's a pretty far stretch, but definitely possible. Guess we'll find out in Shannon Messenger's new novel!

  What is your opinion? Is Alden bad, or good?