Chapter 1

Laurel Cuthbert woke up one morning and immediately got up and dressed.

She spun and danced around. She ran to the living area of the apartment and poured some cereal into a bowl.

She ate her kix quickly, and then, because it was her birthday, poured herself an extra bowl.

"Happy birthday to you," she sang. "You belong in a zoo! You look like a monkey--" --she sniffed-- "and you smell like one too!"

Her mother appeared at the counter. "Happy seventh birthday, Laury."

"Mommy!" She hugged her mother around the waist. "Good morning!"

It was the best birthday yet. She got a teddy, which her parents had been saying was too hard to pack, and a monkey plush which you could attach to a backpack, which she also got a new one of.

Then she blew out the candles (seven) and they ate the cake-- red velvet with white icing, and in chocolate: 

Happy 7th Birthday, 

Laurel!

Suddenly, Laurel's mother got a phone call.

Her face became alert and a little-- what was that expression --afraid? Was she scared?

Or was it anger? Or wariness?

Laurel didn't think much of it.

But then, two minutes later, when the cake was gone and the ice cream finished, the mother came in and said, "Time to pack, Laurel."

Laurel was surprised. "But-- but-- Mommy, it's my birthday!"

"Come on. I'll help you."

"But why? Why do we have to go?"

"Come on."

They packed the new backpack and the old suitcase. They boarded a plane to D.C. and left the place behind.

Hey, readers!

So, I would like to thank you for reading! Please don't be worried about commenting too much. I like getting comments!
I'm sorry this chapter is so short, but I can't think of too much to put in.
Posting as much as I can,

EmberLife_11