Prince Charming

Chapter 8

A pizza place.

After Caiden Tanaka had done the courtesy of catching me in his arms like a true 'bad boy – prince charming' hybrid, he had asked for a reward (not like a true 'bad boy – prince charming hybrid).

And once again, unlike a true 'bad boy – prince charming' hybrid, he had asked for pizza instead of the cliché how bout a date, love?

Not like I had expected him to do so anyway.

"Can I get you two anything else?"

I shook my head, eyes glancing towards the employee's gleaming golden tag with the name 'Lucia' engraved.

"We're all good, but thank you – Lucia."

The pizza place employee nodded in glee, sun-bleached hair bouncing past her shoulders. She quickly scurried away from our table and out the back door politely, leaving Caiden and I alone once more.

Caiden Tanaka was a slow eater.

He chewed lazily on his food in silence, gaze shifting to me every so often. His warm chocolate brown eyes held a flame of mischief, hiding a youthful tenderness I could not quite understand.

His expression didn't quite match his outlook.

Through the screen of dark leather, I thought he resembled a little bunny; soft and fragile, eyes wide and alert, nose twitching every so often.

My gaze went back to his hair.

How does it stay so perfect?

"Thanks again." I whispered softly, taking a small bite of pepperoni pizza and gulping down the soft drink beside me.
I'd gotten some water after the drama, successfully rehydrating my body.

The boy smiled widely, catching me off guard.
I dropped the small piece of pizza in my hand, mouth agape as the brunette male laughed out loud in amusement.

He's adorable.

In a flash, Caiden was rising out of his seat, picking up a paper napkin and moving to wipe off some stray crumbs around my plate, frisky gaze still stuck on my own startled eyes, "No problem, sweetheart."

He winked, leaning back after the carelessly close contact.
And there comes the heartthrob.

Caiden watched humorously as I fumbled with my words, picking up the pizza again in dead silence. I nervously chewed on the dough, eyes never leaving the beige plate before me.

Still struggling to keep a calm demeanour, I swept a strand of black hair behind my ear, eyes widening in discovery after realising how oily my fingers were.
Damn it.

"Are you okay?" Caiden asked out loud, stifling a laugh.

I looked up, nodding in embarrassment and hiding the small blush creeping up my cheeks.

Why did I have to give him such a bad first impression?

It was bad enough that he had to literally pick me up from the ground.

Why do I keep having embarrassing encounters with handsome men?
Is this a blessing or a curse?

I let out a nervous laugh, "I'm fine, thanks. Sorry for – everything, I suppose. I promise I'm not usually like this."

Laughing, Caiden reached out to take another paper napkin, this time catching me off guard by reaching to wipe the corner of my lips.

My body froze at his touch, mind going completely blank. I could feel his breath, the tension. Everything.