THE END

From the moment Lisa broke the news, it seemed like a never-ending series of outbursts of joy, hugs, congratulations, pats on the back... and that was when the news hadn't spread yet. Before she knew it, the whole family was on the way to the Kim residence for an impromptu celebration. Between trying to help her mother, Amy's fussing over the apparent lack of food, being the test subject for her father's latest magic trick and praying Kay's brief performance wouldn't yet again feel several hours long, Lisa barely had to time to give thought to Jennie. Even as she smiled at everyone and did her best to participate and help out, she still felt some unease over breaking the news to her sister. Most importantly, she wondered if there was any way she'd be able to do it in private instead of in front of the whole family.

But that was not to be. Arriving somewhat earlier than usual, Jennie was struck with screams of joy and celebration the moment she stepped into the house, which caused her to first (semi-seriously) wonder if she'd forgotten it was her birthday, then silently take in the news for a few moments (much to Lisa's nail-biting anticipation), before being just as genuinely thrilled her sibling was admitted to her first choice of college. Having absolutely no chance to exchange anything beyond the usual college-related talk, the younger Kim sister had to wait for what seemed like an eternity for a moment alone with Jennie. And even then she didn't risk saying anything because it was just such a day that the moment she considered pulling her sister away for a talk, her mother would call her back, or some sudden whoop or cheer would cause her to chicken out. No... the best thing was obviously to wait until everyone else fell asleep, which meant an entire day of happiness laced with a touch of unease.

When at last she managed to coax Amy into retiring for the night with the promise she'd be the one to clean up, Lisa finally made her way upstairs to her room (the dishes could wait for the morning), to find Jennie scrolling away on her cell.

"Well, well," she glanced up. "If it isn't college girl."

"Ugh, please don't," Lisa groaned, already sick to death of the word. One day of rehashing the same bits of conversation and answering endless questions tends to do that. At this point, she was borderline allergic to college, which did little to spur her onto the one conversation about it she actually did want to have. But from what she could tell, Jennie didn't seem to have any such ideas. So either – Lisa reasoned – her sister was trying to downplay how momentous this turn of events actually was, or she also didn't know how best to approach Lisa's departure.

Just in case, Lisa decided to give her a bit of time, lying on her own bed and browsing on her own phone. She couldn't tell if the silence was awkward just for her only, but at some point...

"So... Jennie?"

"Hmm?"

"Are we... do you..." She sighed instead of finishing, not even knowing what she intended to say. What she did know was that, despite having looked forward to attending college for years, there was now an unappealing aspect to it as well. And even though she hadn't voiced her concerns aloud, Jennie could immediately tell something was bothering her. The older Kim put her phone away, and went over to lie at her sister's side.

"What's up?"

"I don't... I don't know. What do you really think about all of this?"

"What do you mean? I told you; I'm happy for you."

"I know, but..." Lisa hesitated, "I don't know how happy I am."

"Oh come on," Jennie turned toward her, clasping her hand over Lisa's stomach where it began drawing aimless patterns. "You wanted this since forever."

"Yeah, no... I did. I mean, I do. It's just..."

"Lisa, look... I know why you're not as keen on going as you were earlier. But really, it's not a big deal. You're only an hour away, plus you'll be here every weekend, right?"